Skip to main content

Almanac Update ~ Goats ~ Writing Updates


The Farmer's Almanac was right on target yesterday.  It snowed most of the day, but melted away by dinner time.

It's a good thing I was home too.  I went outside for something and heard Misty (another lamancha goat) crying out in the goat fence.  I was confused, because the barn door had not been opened for them to be out yet.


I discovered all the goats were inside but Rue and Misty.  She was so upset, crying, and crying.  Here, they had somehow unhooked the small sliding animal door, and squeezed out one side, but the other side remained latched. Misty, with her horns, could not get back in.  When I opened the door, she came running in covered in snow and crying.

Then late in the evening, when I went out to get the mail, I could hear her crying again.  Seriously?  She was the only one out this time and couldn't get herself back in. 

 I awoke at 3:00am this morning, and could not go back to sleep.  I realized that I had not double checked my deadline for the next freelance article - March 28th. Yikes.  It is not like me to wait until the last minute.

My current book. 

I bought it a year ago or so, with the intention of reading it on one of our own island trips, but did not.  In my cleaning frenzy, this book was found again.  Sometimes I like to just pick a book by the title alone, without reading the cover.  So far, I'm enjoying it.

In lieu of Hubby approaching a busier time at work, including working all weekend (for many weeks), I think I will surprise him with a candlelight dinner - red quinoa crusted Michigan caught salmon on a salad bed of baby kale, and possibly fresh fruit.

Updating to share the recipe link.  It's actually called Crunchy Salmon with Apple and Baby Kale Salad (Good Housekeeping magazine, April 2013) - another recipe from pile to file.  Note:  I did not follow the directions completely.  If you search for "quinoa crusted salmon" online, you can find more recipes.  I used red quinoa, onion, oil and turmeric and parsley (mixed with quinoa) on the salmon.

Comments

EMMA said…
Wow that dinner sounds delicious!
Snowing here again today!
Carolyn said…
It amazes me how STUPID goats can be. We have a horned goat that gets his head stuck in the same spot, every day, and only five minutes after I release him. There is NOTHING on the other side that he can eat, or even SEE to eat.
Michelle said…
Sounds like a great dinner. You might need some new locks. Hopefully they don't figure them out.
Mama Pea said…
What a great wife and woman you are to go to that extra effort of making a candlelit dinner for your good husband. Not so easy to do when you're both so busy. But important. Good reminder!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart