Skip to main content

Dehydrating Ginger ~ Making Homemade Ground Ginger

Of course, organic ginger root is best, however we rarely find it in our grocery stores.  We typically find it at a nature store about 2 1/2 hours from here.  Why don't they have more of those stores everywhere?  We really could use one here.


Anyway, I sliced the ginger for drying, vs. grating it.  Then I can simply grind it as needed, or use it for tea making.  I will have it on hand more often and no more extra trips to the store. 


I have read you can dehydrate the peels too (and grind them).  Has anyone ever done this?  I ended up giving my peelings to the goats.

Comments

Cris said…
I don't know about drying ginger peel, but...why not open your own nature store? Or form a co-op buying group in your area? If you are looking for stuff, I am sure other people are looking for stuff...and sometimes, if you get together, a group can form and really make cool things happen! Just an idea, you know, to percolate. :-)
Liz said…
I hear you on not being able to buy it anywhere!! Drives me nuts! This is such a great idea. Thanks for sharing.
Janice said…
We're part of a food co-op called Azure Standard. Maybe they deliver to your area too? I get my fresh organic ginger root and organic ginger powder through them. They deliver once a month. The fresh ginger root will keep for a long time in the freezer. I've never done anything with the peels. I've only ever "used" them by throwing them in the compost pile.
Candy C. said…
I love ginger in all it's forms! Great idea to dry it to save for later. Have you ever tried keeping the fresh in the freezer as Rachael Ray suggests?
I have not placed my ginger in the freezer (space issues until I buy a deep freezer).

Thanks Janice, for the tip on Azure Standard. I have never heard of them, so I will check into it.
Michelle said…
I never know you could dry garlic. Will have to try this.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart