Skip to main content

From the Handiwork Journal . . .


Crocheted this fun, yet fancy, dishcloth.   I may make more over the winter yet.  This one is going in my kitchen.  It's made with #5 cotton thread.  My first time using that thickness.


 






Crocheted one baby bib for the expected spring baby of my younger brother and his wife.  It is a bit large, so they may have to wait for toddler age to use it.   The original pattern states to add a small bow on the top center.  Not sure if I will yet.   It's made with worsted weight yarn.

Update:  Pattern for girl/boy bibs are found in Big Book of Crochet, Featuring the Best of Crochet with Heart Magazine, Leisure Arts.  They also have patterns for girl/boy bottle covers.




Knitted a few more dishcloths.  These come in handy for barters, gifting, thank you's, and selling.




I'm up to row 77 on the baby blanket now.  Only 41 more to go, plus the edging. The pattern for this is also in Big Book of Crochet, Over 120 Projects, Leisure Arts.



Comments

Candy C. said…
Lovely projects, I really like the shell pattern on the baby blanket! :)
P.S. Dang, your son is a good artist, loved the slide show of his work on your sidebar!!
Sam I Am...... said…
You've been busy! I love all your projects. I'm making my list for the year ahead and baby bibs would be great to have on hand or sell. I'm thinking of an Etsy shop. The dish/wash cloth is beautiful! I use DMC Perle Cotton #8 for my wool applique. I'll have to widen my selection as I've wanted to delve into doilies this year. The blanket is turning out lovely too.
Mama Pea said…
I don't know where you find the time in your busy life to do all the creative handwork you do! And it's all of such high quality. Love seeing the things you're doing.
Thanks for all your kind comments, and for my son's artwork. I love doing these items in winter, but come spring....uh, it really slows down with the garden. Let's pray for an awesome garden year this year.
EMMA said…
Beautiful work, love the baby blanket.
Unknown said…
Lovely work! I am really enjoying your blog and as a barter ;) for you continuing to write I will share a top secret tip about the knitted dishcloths you have posted. Find a craft store that has macramé supplies and get a small skein of the plastic yarn - use this to start your dishcloth then switch to regular cotton yarn. This will give you a scrubby on one corner of the dishcloth that is tough enough to scrub pots and pans but has not scratched anything of mine yet! Let me know when you try it!
Love all the little projects...
I'm learning how to knit..though, I haven't done anything on the diagonal yet.
That baby blanket is gorgeous!
Pat
snugs said…
The baby shell blanket is absolutely adorable. I've been looking for something similar for ages. Any idea where I can find either the pattern or a copy of the book the pattern came from?
Snugs, you can locate the shell pattern in about any crochet book at your library, or if they interloan, try that too. I used the basic pattern stitches of a pattern found in "Big Book of Crochet"

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart