Skip to main content

Knitting Needles in My Cupboards ~ Self Defense


Have you heard of the "ALICE" program yet?  If you have kids in public school, chances are, you may have.

A.L.I.C.E. is an acronym for,  Alert, Lockdown, Inform, Counter, and Escape - Active Shooter Response Team.

For weeks now, two of our girls have been chatting about it, day after day.  It's beginning to become ingrained in our brains here at Rooster's Crow Farm. 

It's a program that teaches "young people" to fight back and not sit and "take it" if a shooter would come into the school.  They have been, as a class (and most of the school from what I am listening too), discussing what they could use as weapons, or do to fight back.  Quite honestly,  I can't wonder if this was created to keep school's from putting guns in our teachers hands.  Anyway....

You know it has been ingrained into your brain, when you go to bed in your camper, and prior to that, you look around and say to yourself "what can I use for a weapon if needed?"  Why lots of stuff, of course.

I can rip out the metal rod that holds the fold-out bed roofs up, and use that as a weapon.  

The same goes for my home.  What can I creatively use in a shooter attack situation?  In my bedroom I can use my knitting needles.

However, my 11 year-old asked me, "but are your knitting needles in a place where you can get them in an emergency?"

Ugh...probably not.  So, I asked her, "do I have to hide some in my kitchen cupboards now?"

....I'd rather stash a shotgun or two in my cupboards. This day and age anyway. 

Either way, I am glad they are teaching the kids to fight back, and fight for their life (I think), if it were to ever happen. In fact, this is one of the reasons I want Hubby to train me to box again.  I want to be in very good shape, in case there was a reason to quickly defend myself, or my family, in any situation.  

Have you been taught self defense?

Comments

RB said…
I learned many years ago that there is usually something right within reach to defend oneself with, but I also learned that that if the other person has a loaded firearm and I have a baseball bat, I'm probably going to lose - so I have a loaded firearm close at hand as well.

God bless.

RB
<><

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart