Skip to main content

Caramel Apple Jam


I made a batch of caramel apple jam yesterday.  The grocery store finally got in some organic granny smith apples.  I used organic ingredients, and my homemade vanilla.  Yum.  

I apologize for the poor photo.  As fall rolls in, the lighting in the house gets worse.  Here is the recipe:


Caramel Apple Jam

(from Better Homes and Gardens Special Interest Publications,  August {?} 2013)

4 pounds tart apples, such as Granny Smith, cored and chopped
1 1/4 cups water
2 tablespoons lemon juice
3 cups granulated sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon vanilla

1. In a large saucepan combine apples, 1/2 cup of the water, and the lemon juice.  Bring mixture to boiling over medium-high heat, stirring constantly; reduce heat.  Simmer, covered, for 25-30  minutes or until apples are very tender, stirring frequently.  Press apples through a food mill or sieve until you have 5 cups pulp; discard skins.

2. Meanwhile, for carmel, pour granulated sugar into a 6-8 quart heavy pot, spreading evenly.  Heat over medium-high heat until sugar begins to melt, shaking pot occasionally; do not stir.  When the sugar starts to melt, reduce heat to medium-low; cook for 5 - 10 minutes or until all of the sugar is melted and golden, stirring as necessary with a wooden spoon.  Remove from heat.  Carefully add the remaining 3/4 cup water (caramel will spatter and become hard).  Return to heat; cook and stir over medium heat until caramel is dissolved.

3. Carefully add the 5 cups apple pulp and brown sugar to caramel (again, caramel will spatter and become hard).  Cook over medium heat until brown sugar and caramel are dissolved, stirring constantly.  Increase heat to medium-high.  Boil gently, uncovered, about 10 minutes or until mixture is thickened, stirring frequently.  Remove from heat.  Stir in butter and vanilla.

4. Ladle hot jam into hot sterilized half-pint canning jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace.  Wipe jar rims; adjust lids and screw bands.

5.  Process filled jars in a boiling-water canner for 10 minutes (start timing when water returns to boiling).  Remove jars from canner; cool on wire racks.  Makes 6 half-pints.

Comments

Winnie said…
wow, this sounds quite yummy! I am going to try and make some for upcoming holiday gifts!
Sandra said…
YUM!
This looks great.We have a Granny Smith apple tree that will be ready to pick in a couple of weeks. I am going to try this. Thanks for sharing!
Carolyn said…
Oh YES!! I've been wanting to can up some of this jam & glad you posted the recipe :) It's nice to get a recipe from someone you actually know (even if it's through the blogosphere).
Kim said…
Thanks for sharing. I will be trying this one for sure.
It's been family tasted and approved. Delicious.
Mama Pea said…
Family tested and approved . . . love recipes like that! This sounds like something I might (okay, would) eat right from the jar!
EMMA said…
Yum, that sounds delicious. I bet it smells fantastic while it cooking.
I think a trip to the market to see the apple lady will be on my list for tomorrow morning.
Thanks for sharing the recipe.
Just finished it. Finally an apple caramel jam that tastes like caramel! Thank you!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart