Skip to main content

Sorghum, Honey, Ginger, and Cinnamon ~ Baking a Healthier Gingerbread


I have been looking through some of the recipes I collected over last summer.  Recipes that I had not yet tried.  I found one that uses sorghum, and I just had to bake it!  I buy locally produced sorghum and honey, so I had the ingredients.  I just adapted it with organic ingredients and our fresh farm eggs.

Sorghum is still a form of sugar, so it is not recommended for diabetics.  However, from the articles I have read, most forms of sorghum do not contain gluten.  And like Molasses, it is a good source for iron, potassium, and calcium.  In one article, I read that it contains more antioxidants than blueberries.  I find this interesting.


We topped our gingerbread with homemade applesauce (canned,and made from organic apples), and it was absolutely delicious! 

Sorghum Gingerbread
(Green Market Baking Book, by Laura C. Martin)
1 cup sorghum
1/2 cup honey
1 cup butter
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon 
3/4 cup hot water

Preheat oven to 350°F.  In a mixing bowl, cream the sorghum, honey and butter.  Add the eggs, and mix well.

Add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture and stir until well blended.  Add the hot water and stir until well mixed.  Do not over mix.  

Pour into a 9 x 12 inch prepared pan, and bake for 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

Thanks to blogland, and informative folks, I spent time yesterday copying my blogs, and saving my template (and copying all photos too).  This Syria mess may very well cause more cyber attacks.  According to what I read yesterday, they are "expecting" more attacks.  

Yesterday, I cut up over 125 more small onions, filling my dehydrator once more.  I used goggles again and it saved my eyes from so much pain.


Comments

Candy C. said…
That is some lovely gingerbread and I like the idea of the applesauce topping! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart