Skip to main content

Puttin' Up Jams and Jellies





I recently made a jam with cantaloupe fruit and vanilla bean.  This jam has such an interesting combination of flavors, I had to try it.  If I were to make this again, I would can it in 4 oz. jars, and give as gifts, or sell for $4.00 for the small jar.  In the end, I did not get 3 - 1/2 pints, but 2 1/2.  I followed the recipe exactly, but if you are interested, there is one on-line  -
Cooking Channel, Cantaloupe Jam with Vanilla.  I found my recipe in a Better Homes and Gardens Specialty (Canning) magazine.  I felt this one was too much work for the little amount it makes.  It is a nice way to use a few leftover vanilla beans if you make your own vanilla extract.


I also made a jelly with balsamic vinegar and Ruby Port wine.  The combination of the two piqued my interest. Although the magazine failed to explain what to use it on, it can be used (and gifted, hint, hint Christmas is coming), for hams, roasts, and poultry.  It would go nice with cheese and crackers too I think.  Again, I think if gifting, I would make this is the 4 oz. jars depending on the family size they were gifted to. 

We did taste this one on crackers with cream cheese, and it is a very fruity and sweet topping.  I have yet to try it on meat. It kind of tasted like a super sweet grape with a hint of vinegar.  Does that make sense?

Today, I get the pleasure of tackling 20 pound of blueberries. 

Comments

EMMA said…
I like the sound of the balsamic vinegar and ruby port wine. I think with cheese and crackers it would be good. We went blueberry picking yesterday so I have been making pies and jams to add to the growing collection - red & black current and apricot & vanilla - so far. I was thinking of maybe trying jamming with water melon, have your tried before?
I have lots of mint this year, do you have any mint jelly recipes you want to share?
Emma,
I have not canned any jelly or jam with mint. That does sound good too.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart