Skip to main content

My Healthy Lifestyle Changes

A little "support" can go a long way.

If you have been following my progress in the sidebar of my blog, I am making healthy lifestyle changes this year, and my 11 year-old daughter has joined me.  We do not use the word "dieting."  We are making permanent changes to keep our bodies at a healthy "size" and in the best health we can be - spiritually and physically.

We were all getting to the gym on a regular basis, but as life goes, life got in the way.  By life, I mean Hubby having to work overtime, kids going here and there, emergency repairs, and suddenly "boom" we are not going to the gym.  We slouch it off, walk away and say what my kids say - "whatever."


We are not taking any type of diet pill, nor partaking in any frozen food "diet" program, or any other food chart program or fast quick weight loss scam.  What we are doing, is hard work.  We are walking every day, eating "real" foods, and eating in healthy proportions. Oh, we still have the occasional ice cream, cookie or other treat, but in moderation, and most of the time homemade.

For me, physical changes mean walking 2 miles a day.  Some days I walk 1, and some I walk 3.  It just depends, and I like to switch it up, so I don't get bored.  This may eventually turn into bike riding, and other exercise, but for now it's keeping me physically fit.  

I am still doing all my outdoor chores, but those eventually change (life) and winter arrives.  By then, I will have learned to keep my exercise routine going in a healthy direction.  Not only do we look better, but we feel so much better.  

I did not gain it all in one day, so it will not come off it one day.  Nor a week, nor two weeks.  By making healthy changes and learning to keep them changed, I am more patient with myself, and my progress.  After all, I did give birth to five kiddos.  That can do a lot to one woman's body.

I'm not a doctor, so please don't take this as a sure-fire way to get in shape.  I am simply sharing for those who are possibly struggling and wishing it will simply fall off them and quickly.

When I come inside sweat covered and mud stained, and feeling like I just want to collapse, it's my 11 year-old who supports my life changing efforts.

"Soooo Mommmmm," in her sing-song smarty-pants voice after getting off the treadmill, "how many miles did you walk today?"

She gets my nerves rattled, and there I go to change my clothes, to get sweat covered again.  But all in a good way.

Comments

EMMA said…
I don't like the word diet either. I try and make healthy lifestyle choices. I don't go to the gym but I run. Some weeks I manage to do all the KM's I intended and other weeks things come up - (like yours, my hubby sometimes works a lot) - and I also have to say 'whatever'!! It's not worth stressing about, that will just make you ill.
I'm sure all the work you do around the farm is way equivalent to a gym session anyhow!
Unknown said…
Good or you all! I've re-focused on healthier eating, smaller portions after I put on a few lbs. during my foot problem. I'm in the same boat of doing it for my health and to feel better not to look like a 10 year old girl. I'm losing already! I personally use Fatsecrets.com mostly just to track portion size and the ratio of fats/carbs/proteins. I'm limiting the grain carbs since that is easy for me most of the time.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart