Skip to main content

It's a Crock Pot Day

It's rained here almost every day for a week now.  Yesterday, was my first chance to weed the garden.  I was only out there for about 1 hour, and Hubby called.  He had to work late.  

This meant, stop weeding, go pick up our youngest who was at a sleepover, come home change clothes, go to the store, come home, make dinner, and change clothes and go back out.  Phew!  Did I just put that all in one sentence?  I think I stayed out there until 8pm.


I woke up to fog, which is much thicker now since I took the first (top) photo.  It rained again last night.  My hair is like a Brillo pad, and my body aches like nothing I've felt before.  Or maybe I have, and have forgotten what it felt like.  You know, like child birth pain?  You feel the pain, then afterwards forget?  I wonder if we suffer garden work like that.

Most of the family has been picking wild black raspberries, and I've been canning jam - 15 jars so far.  The weeds in the garden are starting to look like small trees.  Last night, after pulling the taller weeds, I saw we had a few banana peppers in. I wonder if it will dry up enough today, to get another chance to weed?

Remember my mini weight loss goal for July 4th?  Well that is tomorrow and today I have lost 15 pounds.  I may not lose another pound overnight, but I am thrilled I got this far, considering I got sick.  I'm slowly getting back to myself.

Today is definitely a "crock pot" day, but I need to get busy and make part of my marinade from scratch first.  Then just maybe, hopefully, I can grab a few minutes of peace on the front porch.

Comments

Winnie said…
Here in Florida, we have big thunderstorms and buckets of rain falling everyday for the past two weeks! It is truly like living in a rain forest, I think. Everything grows like it is on steroids! The gardens here are at the end because of the constant heat and humidity levels. July and August are not good for much except okra and hot peppers. Crock pot days are the perfect solution to a grey, rainy forecast. Might as well get that book and a cup of tea for some porch reading!
Willow said…
Congrats to you in achieving the weight loss goal !
You deserve some relaxing moments on the front porch.
I hope your weather improves.
Anonymous said…
Congratulations on the weight loss! I so need to do that but I just haven't gotten myself into the right place, yet! Here in New Hampshire we have been having rain, fog, and tons of humidity. My garden is very sad and I never got my veggie garden started because of all the rain! I don't have anywhere to start seeds so must wait until the last frost which is around May 30th and then it was still too cool. Oh well, lets me plan next year's garden better :D Glad to hear you are feeling better albeit sore from so much weeding!
Happy 4th my friend,
Hugs,
Beth P
Unknown said…
Congrats on your weight loss! Have you tried taking magnesium daily for sore muscles, and aches? Works great! I take 800 mg. a day at bed time, really helped my arthritis, achy back, etc...

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart