Skip to main content

Using Up



It's been a while since I posted anything regarding the Dark Days Challenge.  Yesterday, breakfast was fresh farm eggs, and organic waffles.


Dinner was a pasta dish using my home canned tomato sauce, frozen (garden) green peppers and dehydrated mushrooms.  My home canned, organic applesauce is a wonderful side for breakfast, lunch or dinner (or for baking too).

This week I have had a hankering for iced tea.  I have been making a gallon almost every day.  Mmmm!  

Today, I will be scrambling up 2 dozen eggs, and adding onion and green peppers (from last year's garden), and adding frozen spinach.  This makes it easy for hubby to grab a quick breakfast burrito before he goes to work.

Evening, wind down time, usually involves hot tea.  I purchased organic, loose leaf tea from a small (privately owned) local business.
 

Comments

Cindylee said…
I love the crocheted beverage sleeve. What a great idea!
Anonymous said…
I am looking forward to doing some canning this coming fall. I'm doing all the garden planning, only on paper for the moment, so I'll have the supplies I need when harvest time comes.
Hugs,
Beth P
Candy C. said…
I need to do another Dark Days Challenge post myself, while the days are still dark! LOL!!
Supper tonight was scrambled eggs and homemade biscuits because hubby wasn't feeling well.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart