Skip to main content

Baking with Homemade Ingredients and Real Magazines

I don't subscribe to many magazines, but I do utilize my local library.   Just before the library closed for the holidays, I picked up a few of my favorites.  I also picked up one that I typically don't read - Ladie's Home Journal.



In this particular issue, I found another unique recipe, and one worth trying. Luckily, the recipes are also on-line, so I don't have to type it out, and I can direct you to the correct source.

Fruit Jam Crumble Bars
(Adapted from Ina Garten's Raspberry Crumble Bars)

I used the idea of Ina Garten's recipe, but utilized my home canned pear jam and homemade granola.  I initially wanted to use my canned wild black raspberry jam, but we ate it all.

I did not have sliced almonds and could have used more of the crust mixture, for the topping, but these were wonderful.  It was almost like eating pie with your fingers.

I used an 8 oz. jar of jam also, even though her recipe calls for a 10-12 oz jar.

And of course, my ultimate goal is to some day, use my own homemade butter.

Here is the link to the recipe for the granola.  It was in our local newspaper, and submitted by another writer who belongs to my Christian Writer's group. 

It was also one of the homemade gifts I gave this past Christmas.

Good Morning Granola

We are taking a trip to the library today.  They closed their doors just prior to Christmas and are opening them again today. 
  


 



Comments

You have the new Mary Jane Farm. I shall have to go to Chapters to pick my copy up.Its too expensive to subscribe to here in Canada. I didn't buy the last two because I didn't care for the content. The one your showing looks good though. We are eating out the freezer and pantry. Did groceries yesterday and refuled fruits and a few items. Came to $66.00!! Friuts are expensive this time of the year. Snowing and cold here(-21C)-5F this morning. Can't get the house warm, so must keep moving.
We are having a hard time keeping the house cold here too. Yes, fruit is horribly priced this time of year. Especially organic apples.
Unknown said…
I really like a lot of Ina Garten's recipes, looks good! I gave up on Mary Jane's Farm magazine and cancelled it early. WAY TOO MANY ADS. Very disappointing :(
Candy C. said…
The bars look yummy! What a nice stash of magazines to go through. I have never looked at Ladies Home Journal.
I couldn't renew my subscription to MJF magazine due to cutting back on expenses, so I rely on the last few issues and also get them at the library. I agree that there are an abundance of ads in it too. I do subscribe to Backwoods Home Magazine, as it is extremely helpful in self sufficiency and doesn't contain too many ads. I also subscribe to a writer magazine, but both of these magazines are not found in the library either. I tried to interloan them, from other libraries, and I could not get them timely. Some times, I am lucky to get magazines passed to me from my Mother too.
I found MJF to have too many ads as well for items I can't get in Canada as is. I like the magazine but lately have found little in them. I had a subscription to Hobby Home Farm which I love and spread around to friends, but like you cutting expenses meant this magazine. I get Mother Earth and Permeculture from the library for the same reasons you like Back woods.Something to be said for having the written words in your hands and not on the screen.
Sam I Am...... said…
I love Ina Garten's recipes except for the ones that are fancy/smancy and call for expensive items from a gourmet store...LOL! But she does many simple things with fresh ingredients and makes them mouth-watering! Thanks for the link to the recipe and the granola one too!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart