Skip to main content

Reflections of 2012



I made homemade deodorant for the first time.

I learned to be more resourceful.

 Finished a crocheted blanket to take camping.

 Had "wig" night with the kids (and pets too). 

I baked more foods from scratch.

(photo taken by my daughter)
Buried a very much loved barn cat named Joey.

 Did many farm/barn repairs.

 Tried new foods and recipes.

 (photo taken by my daughter)
Experienced the birth of two different baby goats.

Took an "accidental" road trip with hubby.

I added a few more useable antiques to our home.

Invested in Araucanas.

 (our daughter who tends the goats and makes the soap)
Had successful soap making. 

Participated in the Farmer's Market for the first time ever.

  Got through many trials and tribulations.

 Took more time out for myself.

 Made homemade ricotta cheese with our goat's milk for the first time.

 Canned more.

 Planted more.

 Dehydrated more.  

 Received "Farm Girl of the Month" in July. 

Went camping.

  Spent more time focusing on my marriage with weekend trips to rejuvenate, relax, and enjoy.

 Had a "salsa" party to celebrate and try new canned salsa recipes. 


Inherited many family heirlooms (Grandmother's doll my Aunt made, my mother's rings and hankies, and more).


 
Buried our good friend Gus.

Happy New Year's and may 2013 be full of blessings, love, and peace. 

  


 

 

Comments

Carolyn said…
Blessings to your & yours! And thanks for the pictures; it's nice to see how the year went by.
Michelle said…
Happy New Year. May it be a great year for you and your family.
Candy C. said…
Loved the year in review! You accomplished quite a lot!! :)
Unknown said…
Great commentary and photos!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart