Skip to main content

Homemade Grout/Tile Cleaner

I have to say thanks to a blogger friend over at farmgirlsam.blogspot for this recipe.  She posted about a book Do It Gorgeously, How to Make Less Toxic, Less Expensive and More Beautiful Products, by Sophie Uliano.

I tested this recipe out, and I have to say it gets two thumbs up.  It worked immediately on my tile bathroom shower.  I will never again have to buy those nasty smelling sprays that choke me while cleaning.  


Vinegar/water didn't work, and bleach/water just choked my breath away.

This is also a recipe I can make with my stocked up supplies.  Thank you Sam I am, for sharing this book.  I will be trying more recipes.

Green Scouring Paste and Tile/Grout Cleaner

1 cup baking soda
1 cup borax
1 cup table salt
20 drops lavender essential oil
10 drops tea tree essential oil
~large container with lid to store it in (recycled container)

Place all the ingredients in a large glass measuring cup and mix well.

Pour into your large container and either label it or write on the side of the container with a marker.

Apply with a natural bristle brush for best results.

Book Information:
ISBN: 978-1-4013-4139-8
Home Reference/Green Living
©2010       


Note:  I put my borax and baking soda into my food processor that I reserve for soap making.  Borax tends to clump in rock hard lumps.  This made my mixing much easier.        

Comments

Candy C. said…
I like finding these kinds of tips! :)
EMMA said…
Thanks for sharing this, I will definitely be making some up soon.
Sam I Am...... said…
Oh! Great!!!! I haven't made it yet but I need to as my floor grout on the bathroom floors is bad! Thanks for letting me know it works! Like you, I have tried vinegar, bleach and a few other things. I loved all the resources she gave too. I thought it was a great book and included much more than some of the "green" books out there. So glad it worked for you!
GrannyAnnie said…
I actually have every one of those ingredients. I will have to give that recipe a try. Thanks for sharing!

Popular posts from this blog

Horsetail Salve ~ A "first" this Year

We purchased some horsetail salve to try last year.  It is said to help with severely dry, cracked skin.  My husband was the first to try it, with very, very dry and cracked hands from work. He loves it!  He joked I could not have it back.   I started the infused, horsetail oil the last part of March. Something I learned:   horsetail is also called shavegrass. I infused horsetail in oil, and strained it.  I then made horsetail salve.  I remembered to label my jar with what oil(s) I used, so I can journal this all in my "Herbal Remedies" journal.  I often forget to write the oil used. Now, the one we bought, has more in it than I put in ours, as far as ingredients (the purchased salve had lanolin, and aloe).  We'll see if ours works just as good.  I added the sage essential oil, and vitamin E oil. A "first" time experience for us this year.    I bought the larger tins at a seed store in an Amish area last year.  They a...

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

New Recipe Tried and other Bits

  I tried a new granola recipe and boy it's good.  First, it's a recipe from Mennonite Girls and Cook, and called "Backpack Snacks" online.  It calls for granola, so I used my homemade granola that we love.  Picture is the dry ingredients. Second, I pressed the final mixture into a 9 x 9, parchment lined baking dish instead of rolling it into balls.  The color of these photos are all different, because of the time of day, and how dark the house was from the thick Canadian smoke that was still outside at the time. These cut very nicely, and were very good, straight from the refrigerator.  It was hard to eat just one of them.  I will be making this again, and switching out the peanuts with walnuts, and switching out the raisins with dates.  Oh my!  The binder is honey and peanut butter. These are perfect for your hiking days, camping, your grandkids, or just for snacks when you want one. The rain arrived thank goodness, and washed the smoke in...