Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Homemade Grout/Tile Cleaner

I have to say thanks to a blogger friend over at farmgirlsam.blogspot for this recipe.  She posted about a book Do It Gorgeously, How to Make Less Toxic, Less Expensive and More Beautiful Products, by Sophie Uliano.

I tested this recipe out, and I have to say it gets two thumbs up.  It worked immediately on my tile bathroom shower.  I will never again have to buy those nasty smelling sprays that choke me while cleaning.  


Vinegar/water didn't work, and bleach/water just choked my breath away.

This is also a recipe I can make with my stocked up supplies.  Thank you Sam I am, for sharing this book.  I will be trying more recipes.

Green Scouring Paste and Tile/Grout Cleaner

1 cup baking soda
1 cup borax
1 cup table salt
20 drops lavender essential oil
10 drops tea tree essential oil
~large container with lid to store it in (recycled container)

Place all the ingredients in a large glass measuring cup and mix well.

Pour into your large container and either label it or write on the side of the container with a marker.

Apply with a natural bristle brush for best results.

Book Information:
ISBN: 978-1-4013-4139-8
Home Reference/Green Living
©2010       


Note:  I put my borax and baking soda into my food processor that I reserve for soap making.  Borax tends to clump in rock hard lumps.  This made my mixing much easier.        

4 comments:

Candy C. said...

I like finding these kinds of tips! :)

EMMA said...

Thanks for sharing this, I will definitely be making some up soon.

Sam I Am...... said...

Oh! Great!!!! I haven't made it yet but I need to as my floor grout on the bathroom floors is bad! Thanks for letting me know it works! Like you, I have tried vinegar, bleach and a few other things. I loved all the resources she gave too. I thought it was a great book and included much more than some of the "green" books out there. So glad it worked for you!

GrannyAnnie said...

I actually have every one of those ingredients. I will have to give that recipe a try. Thanks for sharing!