Skip to main content

From Garden to Tree - Frugal Okra Ornaments

From:
Treasures for the Christmas Tree
101 Festive Ornaments to Make and Enjoy
by Carol Taylor

I had to share this.  We grew okra one year, and no one really liked the slime it produced when sliced.  It's great fried, but if you have any you have dried up, and are looking for frugal ornament options, this is a fun one.
  

Comments

Candy C. said…
They are really very pretty and would be a good use for the ones that get too big. We don't eat okra either, blech. ;)
Sam I Am...... said…
The cupboards are so gorgeous in the white! What a difference! You go girl! I'd love to get my hands on a bunch of organic apples but there's not much of that down here.
I feel the same way about okra but I've had pickles that someone made once and they were great and I love those ornaments! I could probably hang outside now if all the ticks are dead or froze but then it's not good for my arthritic hands to hang wet clothes out in the cold so I'll pass. My HE washers though practically have the clothes coming out dry so they don't need much time in the dryer at all.
I'm getting old and some of that stuff I just have to let go of nowadays like carrying a load of wet laundry down to the basement to hang is more dangerous for me than paying a little for the drier upstairs here. I did it for years though like you.
Unknown said…
How cute! I love the shapes!
GrannyAnnie said…
Those are really pretty!
I was at a craft show this year and one woman was selling Christmas ornament she had made out of Okra. They were Angels! She had somehow split the pods (while they were soft) and turned them inside out to make a skirt.... then again for the wings. Wish I had gotten one for a pattern. She said she did it because the inside of the pods were so much prettier than the outside and they needed to be seen that way.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart