Skip to main content

Freezer Meals ~ Clean Sweep ~ More Garden Bounty

While cleaning around the house, I found this 1963 cookbook.  This sounded like a great way to have sandwiches on hand.  I may have to try this recipe yet.  Although I'd make my own dressing for this.  I love the fact I can use own, canned sweet pickle relish.

Clean Sweep Updates:


 For the last 3 1/2 or so years, we have been fighting these shelves in our bedroom closet.  The last home owner added on this closet, along with the bedroom.  However, This long shelving was the only "rod" for hanging clothes on hangers.  I was so tired of trying to get hangers off and on through these holes (often breaking plastic hangers). 


I did not want to spend a lot of money, so I found these extension rods for $6.99 and bought two.  Hubby bent the ends upward and they work perfect to hold our clothes now.  It's so nice to be able to slide clothes back and forth, and not fight to get them off or on.  Yay!  One more thing organized on my list.

Due to the location of our corn/wood pellet burner, and the error of not adding extended piping last season, our siding was covered in soot.  I'm spending afternoons washing this down by hand.  We had plans to power wash it, but were not able to borrow one.


It's getting there, but will take a few more days to finish.  Then it's off to the hardware store for more pieces for the piping.  Piping for these burners are very expensive, but a good investment.

I found some gourmet mushroom mixes on clearance.  I brought them home and popped them in my dehydrator for winter/spring.  These will go nicely into casseroles and soups.  


Evenings are still spent finishing up orders and other unfinished projects.  This is the next scarf to be finished, and then it's onto the next order.


I won't be cleaning much today.  I went out and picked over 30 pounds of tomatoes this morning.  I'm already making more seasoned tomato sauce, and have to go back out to pick more tomatoes, pick all the peppers, and check the pumpkins and watermelon.

Comments

Kim said…
Your days are just like mine, busy busy busy!
Candy C. said…
I LOVE the colors of the scarf!
I wonder is the recipe calls for "commercial salad dressing" (meaning Miracle Whip) because mayo doesn't freeze well? That would be handy to have on hand for quick sandwiches. :)
Ooo! I cringed at the thought of burning corn.
I may be ignorant of how these work...but is this the same corn that we eat? The same corn that is sky rocketing through the roof?
Will you be able to get wood pellets easily or more cheaply...to keep warm?

We heat with wood... and have lost some trees...these will burned this year for warmth.

I liked the closet rod fix! That was genius! I've been doing some crocheting here too. Filling my store.

...you are a busy woman! Pat
Pat, the very first year here we did burn corn, but it's not the same corn we eat. Farmer's had a good year, but the corn was not dry enough, so we mixed it with wood pellets. It was very cheap. After that corn went up and we've used wood pellets every year, however, those are up in price now too. It's safer than our wood burner, but still more efficient than using electric heat here.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart