Skip to main content

Weekend Work and Relaxation

I've been taking a bit of morning time to watch the birds on our property.  Every now and then I am able to get somewhat of a good photo.  I have seen a red-winged blackbird only once, and did not have my camera.


We've found several nests in the barns lately.

Including this one.  It's built on the end of a bend wire on the roof of our "wood" barn.


We see vultures almost every day here.



We have been spending a lot of time preparing Christmas gifts - Flower dishcloths/doilies, flower canning lid magnets, and goat's milk soap.  I have more to work on this week as well.

Mother's Day started with being gifted breakfast in bed.  Yum!  They even used my garden rosemary on the potatoes.

I don't like to post a long update, so I'll update our gardening another day.  The gardening season is keeping us very busy, and so are keep flower beds and herb gardens updated, and sidewalks.  We gave one small sidewalk a makeover.

Two more to go....these are small sidewalks that cut through flower beds and herb gardens.  

The chickens got into our 48 cauliflower plants, numerous cabbage and broccoli plants and more yesterday.  We had to replant them, and put the chickens in the coop.  Building the chicken tractors are number one on the list, then goat fencing.  Naughty chickens.

Comments

Candy C. said…
Very naughty chickens!!
Love the flower dishcloths! Your bird pictures are great and how neat to get treated to breakfast in bed!
Unknown said…
We had to fence in the "tough" area of our veggie garden to keep the gilrs in, otherwise they ruin our perennials and other tender veggies....
Chicken tractor is something I desire as well. At present they have an outside run, but have eaten all the grass in there. I too love your flower pot holders. Are you enjoying the farmers market? This is my plan for the fall when the produce is also ready.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart