Skip to main content

Homemade Crockpot Applesauce

I had two bags of orchard apples that needed to be dealt with.  The intended purpose for them, was to make two apple pies for the Thanksgiving meal.  It didn't happen.

I peeled and cut
a 1/2 peck bag full of granny smith apples, and another 1/2 peck bag of a sweeter apple (I have no idea what my husband bought).  I mixed them together in my largest crockpot, along with a bit of fresh lemon juice, one strip of lemon peeling, and one cinnamon stick.  I added a bit of brown sugar and slowly baked down the apples.

In no time, I had filled several jars with freshly made applesauce.

"So what do you do with that?" asked my husband.

Well, he'll be surprised what I can use this applesauce for:

1. Eat as a side dish.
2. Spread on pancakes and waffles.
3. Make an applesauce and peanut butter sandwich.
4. Use it in place of oil in baking recipes.
5. Bake applesauce cakes.
6. Bake applesauce cookies, muffins and breads.
7. Add it to fruit smoothie drinks.
8. I heard you can freeze it, but haven't tried it yet myself.
9. Use it with Pork dishes.
10. Make scented applesauce Christmas ornaments.
11. Use it to make French Toast.
12. Make a salad.
13. Make homemade gum drops.
14. Make applesauce barbeque sauce.
15. Make granola.

............silly man, doesn't he know that women know what they're doing in the kitchen?  Applesauce is a perfect pantry item to stock up on.

Comments

Candy C. said…
I LOVE making applesauce in the slow cooker!! I freeze mine all the time and it works great; when thawed, it's like I just made it! I copied down the BBQ Sauce recipe to try next time I make my baked meatballs. :)
Unknown said…
I freeze mine to, works great! I made some applebutter from mine too, great for sandwiches. On toast with some sliced banana and peanut butter :), that's a meal!
Katmom said…
This brings to mind, an episode of the "Brady Bunch" on T.V.,,,when asked what was for supper, one of the little boys said, "Pork Chops an Apple sauce!"... lol!
Ours never lasts long enough to freeze! lol!
>^..^<

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart