Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Teabag Tidbits

Monday we took a huge dip in temperature.  It rained all morning.


The weather screamed hot cocoa, hallmark and crochet.  Brr.  Nasty, dreary skies, cold weather, like the kind that keeps you curled up under a blanket with cozy slippers and a cuddly dog and/or cat.  

The weather turned to snow all night and then freezing temps, so there was a layer of ice on the snow.  Not what I needed for a drive to the hospital.  Roads were in terrible condition and 95 school districts closed in the area of the winter storm. 

I made it to the hospital for my procedure, leaving early with a driver.


I'm glad I took handiwork along.  I had to wait about 45 minutes, but was done in 45 minutes and literally was able to walk to the truck.

However, this morning, I am sore.  It'll be that way for a few days, and then it's back for another sonogram later this week.  The doc said it all looked good when he was done.  I am not allowed to lift, exercise or anything of that nature for two weeks.  I am concerned about the amount of firewood we have and the near 0 temps this morning.  We will have to summon the boys to come help if that's needed.  Hopefully, I'll be back to full swing in two weeks.





Breakfast - made this on Monday, so Tuesday the Hubster and daughter had breakfast on the go.  It's what I had on hand - a sausage "souffle" but with bread swapped out for shredded potatoes (a fluffier version).  I do prefer the bread version, but I didn't have time to bake bread.  


I also got cauliflower chowder going in the crock pot first thing Tuesday morning, so there was a hearty dinner when we got home.

It's a brisk 6°F this morning.  Thankfully, my youngest does not have school again today due to an event they are holding at the career center (school of  hers).  I'll have help with firewood being carried in, taking Romeo out, and so forth.  Speaking of which, I'll need to put my spikes back on my boots starting tomorrow.  

I was up at 3am, because I couldn't sleep with the uncomfortable soreness in my leg.   I came out to stoke the fire and found Tiger on a mouse hunt.  Cold weather must have brought it in somewhere, but I'm confident he'll take care of it for us.  Just another glory bonus of living in the country.

I still haven't gotten to the library.  When the school closes the library closes, and they were also closed Monday.  I will be sending someone to the library for me today, and keeping the movement of my leg to a minimum.  It may be another hot cocoa, hallmark and crochet kind of day, and I'm okay with that.

14 comments:

Carol said...

That sounds like my kind of day! We have about the same weather here and I am tired of firewood already and the season just started. I keep telling my husband that we need a new furnace and to get rid of the wood stove. I love the heat, but hate the mess and the work. Rest and stay off your leg.

Rain said...

It's a cozy day here too. I hope you're feeling better soon Kristina!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Carol, we keep the woodstove, because if the power goes out we still have heat. That's the only reason, other than wood is free.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Rain!

Leanna said...

You have it worse than me. It's in the 30s this morning and I made a pot of hot Earl Grey and some peanut butter and plum jam saltines. I plan of watching the Impeachment Inquiry most of the day.

Mary said...

I’m so gratified to read this, and so glad you had someone to drive you there and back. You are in my prayers. I know it’s hard given that you are such a hands on, active woman but rest and follow the doctor’s orders.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Leanna, it's definitely cold here today.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Mary, I'm definitely following doc's orders for sure. I want to heal up and get back to normal again.

Bits of Stitching! said...

Hopefully you are able to rest well and family/friends are able to pitch in so your recovery goes smooth.
Feel better soon, and enjoy your needlework!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thank you Bits of Stitching

RB said...

Weather has been miserable, hasn't it. Today it's cold and rainy. I just turned the heaters up to 72, when I rarely have them above 68, but when it's cold AND raining, the dampness sets in.
I'll be headed to NW PA for Thanksgiving and the week after. Haven't been "home" in I think maybe 5 years, so I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone.
I'll be flying in to Cleveland and driving to Erie, so if you would, keep any snow well west of there for me. k
LOL
Love to all.
God bless.
RB
<><

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

RB, have fun on your trip. Hopefully no snow there.

Cockeyed Jo said...

Rallying the boys is a great idea. They'll do three times as much than you could do and faster. Get that wood pile up. You just rest and heal up or you'll be back in the hospital.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks J.L. Murphey.