Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Sunday, June 16, 2019

Strawberry Margarita Jam

Saturday the rain  came back again with a vengeance.  I forgot one item at the grocery store - limes.  I had planned on canning jam first thing, but had to go back to the store first.





However, on Friday, I picked up a flat of locally grown strawberries.  Hubby got his cold strawberry pie for Father's Day, and I got some to can jam. 
 
I made strawberry margarita jam for the first time. I did an immediate taste test -  super sweet but very good.  Just a dab ol' do ya'. The recipe is in Better Homes and Gardens Special Interest Publication:  Canning, preserving, and freezing and drying (Sept. 2013).  The recipe is also online.  

With all the rain coming, we forfeited the last of the sweet potato slips.   I hate to do that, but it's a weather crisis, and I don't want to spend the extra cash on buckets and a truck load of dirt.  Did you know organic soil for vegetables is $6.77/bag (2 cu. ft.)?  I am hanging onto about 6-7 to plant if I can, but that's all the tilled space I have, and we are running out of time.  They take much more time than regular potatoes.

We are getting more rain today.



8 comments:

Rain said...

I'm still keeping an eye out for the local strawberries! Your jam looks great, I want to make a bunch for next year.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Rain, I bought from another source this year due to too much rain. My first source doesn't even have any and they are well known for their strawberries.

mamasmercantile said...

I made my first batch last week. My goodness the rain is just never ending not much of a Summer is it?

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

mamasmercantile, it's been a terrible year in our area this year.

Luludou said...

Strawberries are late here this year. That margarita jam sure looks good! Have a great week

Debby Flowers said...


Sorry about the rain Kristina - absolutely nothing can be done about it! Do people commonly use high tunnels for growing in your area? Most of the people I know who grow for market use them here and get beautiful produce. Spendy yes, but for someone such as yourself who spends a lot for organic produce anyway, maybe worth the investment.

Anyway, I hope that you have a fine day despite the rain!!!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Luludou

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Debby, I purchased grow bags this year to try out. I may be doing the entire garden that way next year. I'd consider moving south if this happens again next year. We had plans to build a raised, waist high bed for the strawberries this year, but Hubby's working every day 10 to 12 hour days.