Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Monday, June 26, 2017

Picking Peas In Pajamas

Saturday we picked peas in our pajamas, had a leisurely breakfast on the porch (fresh eggs, homemade bread with home canned jam and coffee), and then by 10am took off on a motorcycle ride. 

We ran some errands, and rode to a campground where extended family and friends were camping for the weekend.  Good food, lots of laughs and they were all talking us into changing our plans.

We had a wedding to attend in Michigan.  Hubby's sister had been taken to the hospital (trouble breathing).  We was admitted over night for tests.

Sort of a funny tale about the weeding.  My biggest challenge?  Finding a nice outfit for an outdoor wedding, that didn't make me look like I left the garden or got off the Harley, ha ha!  I succeeded.  Even though I lost 38 lbs. last year, I found a skirt and top and some dressy sort of flip flops to wear.  And, believe it or not, a matching purse.

Sunday was a repeat.  Picking peas in our pajamas, and a leisurely breakfast on the front porch. 


Only there was no homemade bread to be had.  Zero.  Not even a tortilla.  However, I had a few pieces of homemade flatbread in the freezer, one last package of bacon in the freezer, and a few measely potatoes.  Wa-la!  Omelets were made.  Flatbread was saved for later.

We later drove up to visit Hubby's sister in the hospital.  Tests continue.  She has pancreatitis.  She's had it before I guess, but she is doing well now.


Garden work continued, but today it looks like rain.  I've been up since 3am, and my catnip tincture failed for insomnia.  It's gonna be a long week.

6 comments:

Yarrow said...

I often pick raspberries for breakfast in my pj's :D Somehow it's more fun that way!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Yarrow, that is funny. We are just getting some red raspberries now, but I should be picking wild black raspberries. Yum.

Rain said...

Hi Kristina :) I hope your sister-in-law recovers fast. The only experience I have with pancreatitis is when my pugs got it back in the 90's and it was scary for one of them.

Your omelet looks SO GOOD. We're trying to eat more egg dishes now, mostly for the lower cost (compared to meat), but also for the taste! We've had lots of quiches lately.

We call our lifestyle the "pajama life" so I can relate to how great it feels to be out in the garden in pj's!!! :) I picked a few peas in my pj's this morning too!

RB said...

The omelet looks good. Prayers for your SIL.
Peas I've picked aplenty, but never in my pjs. LOL
God bless.
RB
<><

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Rain, Hubby has two sisters, and this is the one who had diabetes for such a long time, and is on dialysis. I am wondering if she gets it from medications. She is doing much better now.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

RB, I think I just want to get that job of picking peas done early, so I just head out with PJ's on, ha ha!