Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Calendula Cookies ~ More Peas

The title is correct -  Calendula Cookies.  I added these flower petals to salads last year, and this year I am expanding.  I found several recipes in a book from the library, regarding edible flowers.  Something new to try this year, and new to blog about. 


The cookie recipe uses about 18 flower heads.  I had flowers, and I had a hankering for cookies (when I shouldn't be eating any). 


Recipe comes from the book, "Cooking with Flowers:  Sweet and Savory Recipes with Rose Petals, Lilacs, Lavender, and Other Edible Flowers, by Miche Bacher.   Original recipe calls for 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour.  I used 1 cup einkorn flour and 1/4 all-purpose white.  I didn't have any lemon  zest in my freezer, so I used lemon extra in the sugar.  Very light and healthy.

I've been alternating kids for help shelling peas these past few days.  We enjoyed them for dinner.  I should be getting another picking of snap peas soon too.  


We are still getting a load of greens at almost every other baked breakfast.  This one is loaded with dandelion.  I have however....




..brought in a good amount of chard and kale to blanch and freeze.  Collards were planted a bit late, and although my orange chard failed in the (falling apart) raised bed, my red chard re-seeded itself (kudos to that).  


More radishes.  Not very many Cherry Belle.



More bread baking - French toast, sandwiches, toast, and a side with dinners.  I was in a hurry ( do not be in a hurry), the water was too hot, and my loaves are a bit on the short side.  That's okay, the kids are devouring it and it fits better in the toaster, ha ha!

Guess who got stung by a wasp?  Yeah.  Me.  I was standing still, filling a watering can under the rain barrel, minding my own business. It landed right on my arm.  I immediately picked plantain, and ground it up in my food processor (making more than I needed).  It was red, and swelling and hurt pretty bad.  This morning, there is no sign it was there but a teeny bit of tenderness.  The power of weeds is amazing.

I don't know what my next adventure will be this week, but I do know peas need picked.  Enjoy your week....


The weather here is amazingly cool and tolerable in the afternoons.  Camping weather.  Which we have yet to do (for two reasons).  I have managed to take time for myself and a few handicrafts though.







10 comments:

SUSSEXMOUSE said...

I have been collecting Dandelions for next door's Chickens. I didn't know we could eat them. I must try one !

Jenn said...

Interesting post! Cooking with flowers sounds cool, so many plants and flowers that you'd never think are useful. I have a new found appreciation for dandelion!

Yarrow said...

These sound very good, I'd like to try them as I have a lot of calendula at the moment :D

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Sussexmouse, I have made a dandelion bread using the flowers before, and the same cookbook I mentioned for the Calendula flower cookies has a recipe for dandelion cookies.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Jenn, I am learning something new every year. My family appreciates it too.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Yarrow, the same cookbook has recipes for Calendula cornbread and a calendula ravioli. I hope to try them soon too. I borrowed the book from our library.

Rain said...

I love that you're cooking with flowers! I haven't made the jump yet. I need to be more brave lol...sorry you got stung, but wow about the plantain. I'm sure if I could find some here it would heal my (still itchy) black fly bites from last month.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Rain, plantain is very helpful for so many uses. The cookies were very good too.

RB said...

We've had several cooler days with low humidity, but now it's raining again, and although we need it, the temps will be rising next week and the humidity right along with it. Yuck!!!
Prayers everyone is having a great week.
God bless.
RB
<><

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

RB, we've had many days of high heat and humidity, so I hope it cools down for both of us soon.