Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Thursday, April 13, 2017

Wild Weeds ~ Dandelion Syrup

The recent rain brought us some of these golden goodies. It's dandelion season.
  

 First on the list of what I need to make this spring is Dandelion syrup.

  Done.  I made a new recipe using dandelions, water, honey and organic lemon juice.

 If I can get my rear in gear and pick some early one of these next mornings, I'll make us some dandelion pancakes to go with it, and some dandelion flower bread too.  There are so many recipes online.  I luckily have a few dandelion cookbooks.  I want one more I think.


This one. Maybe.  I plan on reading it on the porch after a good day's work outside today.

I'm joining the Simple Homestead Hop today.

8 comments:

Mama Pea said...

Nary a dandelion in sight here yet. Our first mowing of the lawn is always delayed until it looks absolutely terrible, 'cause Papa Pea won't mow down the dandelions (when they do appear) because it's something for our bees to work. :o/

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mama Pea, I almost put bees out by an area in our pasture that is heavily loaded with red clover. I'm just afraid they'd travel off to the sprayed crops and come back with pesticides.

Mama Pea said...

Unfortunately, they would do just that, Kristina. That's part of what is mutating our country's honey bees and causing their demise. It's sad.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mama Pea, I thought they would. I'll just have to buy honey for now.

Rain said...

We don't have any dandelions yet either, but I do love them. I've never cooked with them though, that's something I want to try this summer. I've often mentioned that we are renting. Our cottage has a large side yard that we basically don't touch. In the summer it's a bed of yellow with all the dandelions, so beautiful and I wouldn't mow them ever. Our do-gooder neighbour had his riding mower out last summer and started to mow the side lawn WITHOUT telling us. He claimed he "just wanted to help us out" but we could see right through that! He is Mr-Manicured-Lawn-Guy and he didn't want our dandelion spores to settle on his lawn. Blah! Alex stopped him in his tracks and he won't be back to mow any of our lawn again!

RB said...

Good gracious!!! When I think of the millions upon millions (must be) of dandelions our Grandmother dug up with a big screwdriver and threw in the burn barrel, I shudder to think all you could have made with them.
She dug up so many, no exaggeration here, some of her house dresses were sun faded from her hips to her neck from her bending over to dig them out. Then from her bottom down to her knees, they'd be the right color. LOL
Praying for a wonderful Easter weekend for everyone, and a safe one too.
God bless.
RB
<><

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

RB, my Dad used to dig the dandelions up with a screwdriver too. Funny how much we didn't know back then.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Rain, we have a ton of them right now. And we just mowed, and need to mow again already. I hope to get some picked before daughter mows. We are super busy this weekend with another project.