Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Random Tidbits ~ Swiss Chard Pesto

Experiment #3:  I used 1 cup einkorn all purpose flour, and 2 cups einkorn whole grain wheat, my home canned applesauce (no other oil/butter), and my homemade yogurt.  The only difference I notice, is when my bananas are a bit too ripe.  Then the bread is super moist.  Overall, delicious and easy grab-n-go breakfast/snack for the family.  I think I'll add 1/2 cup more blueberries next time.



Rag rolls are rolling up.  Bad photo, but you get the idea. Pillow cases are disappearing. I've had a stack sitting on a shelf for weeks now, but I am looking at this year as the year to get stuff done.

In fact, while deep cleaning I un-buried the plates that were mailed to me after my Aunt died. That was 2 years ago.  I mounted one in the kitchen, and somehow the remainder were put on my hutch shelf, then buried by tablecloths (I must have been in a hurry).  



So...I simply mounted two more to this small area over my aprons, then purchased a 3-plate mount (50% off, paying just over $12.00), and put them up in my living room.  Now we can enjoy them.   I also took the one plate down and gave it a good cleaning. 

After I took those photos, and finally made a trip to town in my car I haven't seen all week, I bought this.

I couldn't resist.  I had a dead plant on that pie safe, so I filled that little cutie with a new plant - Golden (Peperomia obtusifolia variegata).


I also added this gem to a pot in the master bath.  That plant died too, so now it's bringing some positive energy.  I had the blue stones in my crafting supply, so I just used those.
  


The peach bourbon jam is delicious.  I may invest in a bottle of Maker's Mark, just for baking purposes now.  

I may have to purchase a brand spankin' new food processor.  I was one of the unlucky folks who had to order a new blade last December.  Cuisinart had a recall on certain models, and I have one.  Mine is the 11-cup plus with a dough button.  I have struggled with recipes without it too - hummus for one.  My blender just doesn't do the job for some recipes.  According to the last email from them, I won't see my new blade until sometime beyond June.  That is not good.  I use it all season longSo frustrating. 



I needed a food processor to make my swiss chard pesto.  Blenders just don't bring up the bottom stuff, and I have to keep stopping and stirring.


It was also a new recipe from "The Chew."  If you google "Pesto Chicken Cauliflower Bowl" you'll find it online.  Golly, I can't wait for spring greens from the garden again.   To "rice" my cauliflower, I simply hand grated it.  It worked, and the recipe was very, very good.  We'll be making it again, because it's healthy.  The only cheese is the Parmesan in the pesto.  

6 comments:

Rain said...

I love those plates, they're so cozy-cottage-looking! I've 'found' things I forgot I had too...I just have too much stuff piled over other things...a big spring cleaning is in order very soon, my excuse is that spring isn't here yet ;) The jam looks awesome...invest is the right word for a cooking bottle of Maker's Mark - at least here in Quebec, it's nearly $50 for a 750ml bottle. Besides Wild Turkey, Maker's Mark is my favourite bourbon.

RB said...

Love the chicken plates. I have four in my kitchen too, two hens and two roosters. They were a present from our youngest sister, and I love them.
What do you use the rag rolls for? Have you ever cut rags into narrow enough pieces to knit or crochet with them? I've seen it done. I also once made a bathroom rug out of plastic grocery bags that I cut into narrow strips and crochetted with. It looked pretty good with the various colors done into patterns, and it was good to step out of the bath/shower on, plus it was cheap and recycling.
God bless.
RB
<><

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

RB, Hubby and I toured the Maker's Mark distillery in KY a few years back.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

RB, I will be crocheting my rag rolls into rugs. I have made a few in the past and they are nice and thick for the shower and tub.

Sam I Am...... said...

Those plates look so nice on your walls! Your home looks very cozy and welcoming. I'll have to look into the pesto recipe as I am trying to make more healthy alternatives. Love the plants and cute planter too!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Sam I Am, I just found out you can make pesto with peas! I can't wait to try it next. Thank you for the compliment on the plates. I think my Aunt would be smiling right about now.