Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Thursday, November 5, 2015

Plantain Healing Salve ~ Homemade "Neosporin"


Remember the herbal oil I was heating in the sun for a plantain/comfrey salve?

Well, it's done, and I melted beeswax with it and wa-la!  Homemade "Neosporin." 

I washed a few lip balm containers, and some recycled baby food jars to store it in.


It made a lot more than this.  I filled another lip balm container and three more baby food jars.  The recipe starts with 2 cups of herbal oil, and 1/4 cup of beeswax.  I used both plantain and comfrey, as well as rosemary.  There were a few other suggested "optional" herbs, but I did not have them on hand.

I put some in the small containers to be able to tote them along for camping and other trips from home.  It seems when we go camping/hiking/fishing, someone gets a splinter, cut, or abrasion that needs a healing salve.  The only thing I question on this salve, is how long is the shelf life?  I can't really find the answer, so I'll be doing some "herbal recipe" reading this winter.

I am now a firm believer  (and so is my family) of comfrey and plantain - two medicinal herbs that I never experimented with until this year.  I will triple the amount of comfrey, due to the need for comfrey poultices in my house.  

I can say my herbal journey is definitely not over.  I cannot wait to discover more uses and plant more herbs next year.

10 comments:

Kim said...

Glad to see you got another item checked off the list of winter prep. Now do tell about these comfrey poultices. When would you use one and how?

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Kim, the first one I made, was used by my daughter in the Army National Guard. She does a lot of running and hurt her ankle back in basic training. I gave her only one, and she said it worked great on her ankle. I grind it up in my food processor, add a tiny bit of flour to make a paste (you can use chia too). I spread it on gauze, wrap it up and freeze it in a zip bag. Then you place it on the sprain, previously broken bone, or bruise. I had her wrap it with saran wrap to keep the juices in place and from making a mess. The second one I made was used the same way for another daughter's friend (sprain). Works very well.

Sandra said...

Great idea!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Sandra!

Susan said...

Kristina, how long did you have your plantain and comfrey brewing?

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Susan, I let it set 4 weeks. It can be heated for 3 hours on low too.

Sam I Am...... said...

You might be able to email Mountain Rose Herbs and ask them. I admire you for going "all out" on your herbal remedies and salves. I want to have a big herb garden in my next home for sure.

RB said...

It's so interesting and educational reading your blogs. I really enjoy them.
Too bad you and my sis in MB, SC don't live closer together. She and her hubby have bees, and I bet they have a lot of wax she often has to find a home for.
I understand Comfrey makes a wonderful tea for lung ailments, for those who battle often with bronchitis, pneumonia, etc.
I use to have a hillock of it in the garden; I'd cut a handful, stick it in the toe of a hosiery knee high and tie the top of it around the tub faucet, so water would flow over it while I filled the tub. It left my skin so soft and silky.
God bless.
RB
<><

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Sam I am, growing herbs is completely worth it. You can always share if you grow too much as well.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

RB, I learned a lot about comfrey and plantain this year. I hope to learn more next year.