Skip to main content

Plantain Healing Salve ~ Homemade "Neosporin"


Remember the herbal oil I was heating in the sun for a plantain/comfrey salve?

Well, it's done, and I melted beeswax with it and wa-la!  Homemade "Neosporin." 

I washed a few lip balm containers, and some recycled baby food jars to store it in.


It made a lot more than this.  I filled another lip balm container and three more baby food jars.  The recipe starts with 2 cups of herbal oil, and 1/4 cup of beeswax.  I used both plantain and comfrey, as well as rosemary.  There were a few other suggested "optional" herbs, but I did not have them on hand.

I put some in the small containers to be able to tote them along for camping and other trips from home.  It seems when we go camping/hiking/fishing, someone gets a splinter, cut, or abrasion that needs a healing salve.  The only thing I question on this salve, is how long is the shelf life?  I can't really find the answer, so I'll be doing some "herbal recipe" reading this winter.

I am now a firm believer  (and so is my family) of comfrey and plantain - two medicinal herbs that I never experimented with until this year.  I will triple the amount of comfrey, due to the need for comfrey poultices in my house.  

I can say my herbal journey is definitely not over.  I cannot wait to discover more uses and plant more herbs next year.

Comments

Kim said…
Glad to see you got another item checked off the list of winter prep. Now do tell about these comfrey poultices. When would you use one and how?
Kim, the first one I made, was used by my daughter in the Army National Guard. She does a lot of running and hurt her ankle back in basic training. I gave her only one, and she said it worked great on her ankle. I grind it up in my food processor, add a tiny bit of flour to make a paste (you can use chia too). I spread it on gauze, wrap it up and freeze it in a zip bag. Then you place it on the sprain, previously broken bone, or bruise. I had her wrap it with saran wrap to keep the juices in place and from making a mess. The second one I made was used the same way for another daughter's friend (sprain). Works very well.
Susan said…
Kristina, how long did you have your plantain and comfrey brewing?
Susan, I let it set 4 weeks. It can be heated for 3 hours on low too.
Sam I Am...... said…
You might be able to email Mountain Rose Herbs and ask them. I admire you for going "all out" on your herbal remedies and salves. I want to have a big herb garden in my next home for sure.
RB said…
It's so interesting and educational reading your blogs. I really enjoy them.
Too bad you and my sis in MB, SC don't live closer together. She and her hubby have bees, and I bet they have a lot of wax she often has to find a home for.
I understand Comfrey makes a wonderful tea for lung ailments, for those who battle often with bronchitis, pneumonia, etc.
I use to have a hillock of it in the garden; I'd cut a handful, stick it in the toe of a hosiery knee high and tie the top of it around the tub faucet, so water would flow over it while I filled the tub. It left my skin so soft and silky.
God bless.
RB
<><
Sam I am, growing herbs is completely worth it. You can always share if you grow too much as well.
RB, I learned a lot about comfrey and plantain this year. I hope to learn more next year.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart