Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Tuesday, September 1, 2015

365 Day Recipe Challenge? Collard Frittata ~ Frog in the House


I think I have enough new recipes to challenge myself into trying a new one every day.  For a year. Sigh....

Guess what I found?  More recipes.  


I pulled my favorite crock pot cookbook off the cookbook stand to clean, and found a few recipes held together with a clothespin.  Top one looks like it may be good too.  Well, I guess meal planning won't be so difficult this fall.

As for that collard frittata recipe?
  It's your basic frittata recipe, but with collards. Delicious too!



Collard Frittata
3 Tbsp. organic olive oil
1 cup organic potatoes, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 cups or so of cooked collards, drained
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper
8 farm fresh eggs, beaten
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. or so of black pepper
1/3 cup of grated Parmesan cheese. 

Cook collards in a pan with a bit of organic olive oil (or your favorite way).  While those wilt down, start cooking potatoes in another skillet with oil.  When potatoes are about done, add the onions and garlic.  When the potato mixture is done, remove from heat and add the cooked collards, crushed red pepper and salt and pepper.  Place the mixture in your baking dish (I oil mine with organic olive oil).  Pour eggs over top.  Bake at 375° for about 20 minutes or until done.  Top with grated Parmesan cheese, a few minutes before you remove it from the oven (or after).

You could most likely cook this in a cast iron pan (may have to adjust cooking time and temp), which would save on dishes.  I used my quiche dish for this recipe.

The frittata was an after school snack for the two younger girls.  They come home so hungry.



We once again had cleaning help from Hubby's family.  I was very thankful to have the help.  They also brought their kids who  helped with pulling weeds from the sidewalks, around the patios, and other areas.  Our two younger girls helped with the last of the dusting and wiping down walls.


We are nearing the end of deep cleaning.  I have one window, a pie safe to wipe out, two window blinds to clean, and short wall of shelves. 

Remember all that rain?  All those tadpoles?  Well, I've almost sat on a small frog in my front porch rocker, and this morning we found one in the house.  Jasper, one of the house cats found it.  It must have followed us in, after working outside.

 



The latest handicraft project in my very spare few minutes, is an embroidered redwork towel for Hubby's sister (for Christmas).  I am just now tracing the pattern to the towel.

I told Hubby I was afraid we'd wipe all the "good" germs away while cleaning, and guess what?  I am the one with a sore throat, cough, and body aches.  I will be taking it easy for a few days.

4 comments:

Mama Pea said...

You? Taking it easy for a few days? I gotta see this! Seriously, do take care of yourself. Just because you could lie on the couch feeling good about the super-clean house surrounding you, it wouldn't be good for you to be sick!

In the recipe, are the potatoes precooked?

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mama Pea, you made me laugh. I am already contemplating what to clean. I forgot to write how to cook the fritatta. I will add that.

Sam I Am...... said...

Yes, take it easy. You've been working so hard. How wonderful that your family comes and helps out. Do you help them with their house too? What a wonderful idea kind of like the old barn raisings where everyone pitched in. The fritata looked delicious and I bet it was. You make great snacks!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Sam I Am, yes we tend to help each other often. Yesterday the kid's snack ended up apples and grapes. I had no energy to bake again. The frittata was delicious, and they got their greens. Thanks.