Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Thursday, March 5, 2015

Cooking from Storage ~ Pasta e Fagioli

Oldest Daughter was pretty sick, and is still sick.  I whipped up a batch of homemade ginger ale for her, and that is the only thing she could keep down. Thankfully, I had all the ingredients, aside from lime juice, to make it.

I offered her elixir, but she said no.  Her fever continued all day.  She was the only one who had a flu shot too.  She's miserable.  

I'm sanitizing just in case.  Not that I don't, but just being extra careful.



Yesterday, being stumped on what to cook (without chicken), I whipped up a substituted version for Pasta e Fagioli.


To make ours, I used our homemade onion soup as the base, adding more vegetable broth, home canned tomato sauce, home canned tomato paste, our frozen tomatoes, garden oregano and basil.  I used fresh celery and garlic.  I did use the bay leaves and in this case, canned organic great northern beans (drained and rinsed).  The extra tomato paste was added because our tomatoes were paste tomatoes (not crushed canned tomatoes). I had a box of organic whole wheat penne on hand.   We all thought this would be even more delicious with some grated cheese on top.  Oh, and I made this in the crock pot (adding cooked pasta last).


We are hitting another cold snap.  Just before we head up to the 50's next week.  I'm looking foward to not burning wood for heat.  We are down to our last day's worth of cut wood, and we are to dip below zero tonight.   Thankfully, I know how to use a wedge and swing a sledge hammer.

I talked to Hubby last night.  The strike continues.  Evidently they went to meet again, did not agree, and decided to meet again next week.  I am told some employees have crossed the picket line to go to work.  There hasn't been anything on the news lately, other than gas prices climbing.

On a good note, Oldest Daughter was promoted and will now earn more pay (Army), and my next oldest daughter (about to graduate) just got a job interview.    On a scary note, my 15 year-old is about to turn 16 this summer.  She wants to get her driver's permit.  Sadly she drives the go-cart like her Dad drives in the mountains. 


15 comments:

Kim said...

Hope the dd feels better soon and without sharing it with all the others. Great to hear about the promotion. Good luck on the interview. I have your family in my prayers. I know what it is like to be affected by strike and be the one at home swinging the sledge! Take care and be cautious.

Mama Pea said...

I had to laugh at your description of your 15 year old's driving habits! How did any of us survive when we first learned to drive? I think of a few (stupid!) close calls I had and cringe.

I am NOT a fan of flu shots. Never had one, never will. We believe it's not a natural thing to do, but taking the time, effort and (sigh) money to put organic, quality food on the table is the way to go.

Isn't that just the most wonderful thing about homemade soups? I mean you can start with the most basic of ingredients already on your shelves (or in your freezer) and come up with a sustaining, dee-licious food good for all folks little to big!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Kim, she's feeling a bit better, but still can't eat. And thank you for the prayers.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mama Pea, Our family does not get the flu shot, but unfortunately the military makes soldiers get them. Son and her both had to get one, ugh. You don't know exactly what's in them either. Yeah, I'm not looking forward to this next kiddo driving.

EMMA said...

Great - a vegetarian crock pot dinner! how long did you cook it? my hubby says I always overcook with my CP.
Hope your wee 'oldest' feels better soon!

Liz said...

Sorry to read about the daughter being so sick! I was hoping that flu bug had gone into hibernation! I am going to try making the onion soup this year. I think I would use it a lot. And the hubby is still on strike, wow. What exactly does he do? Stay warm! Only a few more weeks of this cold stuff!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Emma, I think I cooked it on low about 6 hours or so. I cooked the noodles at the end, on the stove, then added them last. The tomato sauce really made it delicious too. I linked the original recipe for you too.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Liz, he's an instrument tech. He fixes machinery. You'll really like the onion soup. It's been so nice to have this winter.

Carolyn said...

DD and I are both mostly over our sickness, but unfortunately the husband just go it. Your soup looks great and I think it's just the right kind of supper for me to make tonight with all the sickly people here in the house. Thanks for the inspiration & hope everyone gets better at your place.

Sam I Am...... said...

I hope your daughter gets better soon. It's so awful to be sick and throwing up is double awful! I hate to throw up....I mean really hate it!
I love pasta fagioli....you did good with your substitutions. Congratulations on your daughter's promotion and the other one's new job! I hope the strikers can get what they want and that it's a win-win for all...but I know how greedy corporations can be.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Carolyn, I sure hope your household is all better soon. Glad I can inspire you.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Sam I am, this was the first time making this dish, so I was hoping my substitutions worked. Thanks.

RB said...

Prayers for Oldest Daughter. About the only time I get sick is when I get those darn shots too. Don't know why. Hope she'll be well soon.
Sorry about the strike too. I hope hubby can pick up some odd jobs in the meantime, but in wintertime, that won't be easy up North either.

Up North, we use to call that soup Pasta Fazoula, but since moving down South and since watching the Food Network, Pasta e Fagioli is what they call it.

Wonder where the name we called it up North came from? Oh, I found it online; it's from an old Cab Calloway song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E03NZOIxGmQ&list=RDE03NZOIxGmQ

Funny how things stick in one's head, even decades later.

God bless.

RB
<><

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

RB, this is the first time making it. I do like it too, and it was perfect for our vegetarian daughter.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

RB, this is the first time making it. I do like it too, and it was perfect for our vegetarian daughter.