Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Monday, July 21, 2014

Refrigerator Pickles


The cucumbers did not listen to me.  I brought in 6 over-sized-not-good-to-can cucumbers, along with about 16 more good ones.  I ran to the store and got ingredients to make a few quarts of Refrigerator Pickles.....
.....but Mom saved me.  She came out and took them to share with my younger brother and his family too.  Phew!  I just have no time this week, and I'll explain why later.

As for the huge cucumbers, the girls are making facial masks and using slices for their eyes.  The rest will be treats for the chickens.

Here is the recipe for the fridge pickles if you are interested (I cut this out of an Organic Gardening magazine way back in 2011 {I think}).


Refrigerator Pickles

1 lb. med. cucumbers, organic
3 cloves garlic
1/2 tsp. black peppercorns
1/2 tsp. whole mustard seed
1 tsp. fresh dill weed
1 whole dried bay leaf
2/3 cup brown sugar
6 1/2 Tbsp. white distilled vinegar
6 1/2 Tbsp. white-wine vinegar
3/4 cup water

Cut the cucumbers into slices (or spears) and place in a 2-qt. container (or 2 - 1 qt. canning jars) with a lid.  Add the garlic, peppercorns, mustard seed, dill weed, and bay leaf.

Stir together the brown sugar, vinegars, and water.  Pour the vinegar mixture over the cucumbers and shake the jar well to combine.  Cover and chill for at least 24 hours.  These will last up to 3 months in the refrigerator.

Note:  I like to add this recipe to one single quart jar (not two).  It gives the pickles a better flavor.  I do use my own homegrown garlic, and dill weed as well.

3 comments:

EMMA said...

Do you not need to heat the sugars and vinegars?
I will be trying this - just waiting for my cucumbers - who seem to be in no hurry to grow!!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

No need to heat. Just mix and refrigerate. They last up to 3 months in the jar (refrigerated). My kids love these.

Liz said...

My mother in law always made these. They were so good. I will have to give this recipe a try.