Skip to main content

Straight from the Garden

I spent the entire day in the kitchen yesterday.  I just kept going through the garden goodies, until I was down to zucchini.  


I took the few carrots I pulled, and one of the green peppers, and made our favorite Confetti Corn Muffins.  I used cornmeal from our trip to the Mill last week.  If you click on the highlighted recipe name a few lines up, it will take you directly to the recipe.

These muffins have so much flavor when they are made with freshly picked garden vegetables. 

My baking didn't stop there either.



In between flash freezing green peppers, I mixed up a batch of Zucchini-Banana Squares (we call them brownies).  We make this every summer with freshly grated zucchini.  Again, if you click on the recipe name a few lines up, you will be taken to the recipe directly, where you can print it.  It is from Heart Healthy Living.  We love these.  We don't frost them to keep it healthy, and they are gobbled up in one day.  We have also baked these for guests that have stopped in, and gotten good comments about them.


And, yet there was more to bake.


I used one kohlrabi, one onion, one green pepper, one small zucchini, a few cloves of garlic (the only item not from my garden, but hopefully will be growing next year), and one handful of orange, cherry size tomatoes.  They made a delicious kohlrabi frittata, very similar to a potato frittata.

I ended up cooking the small handful of broccoli and cauliflower for a side dish to our garden dinner.

So far, we have saved seeds from dill, cucumber, peas, and green pepper, for next year's garden.


Comments

Candy C. said…
What a great idea with the corn muffins! Everything looks really good!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart