Skip to main content

Just Laugh!

 

The last of the hot banana peppers, and jalapenos, and we harvested maybe 8 jalapenos this year (vs. 100's).  Sigh.  We can only laugh at this point.  No hot pepper relish, no hot pepper jelly, etc.  We use everything we plant for other recipes that are either canned or made fresh, like salsa.  The potato harvest is not that great either, but we are starting to dig them up.  The basket has potatoes from about 3 plants.

It's a harvest no less.

The story behind the hot peppers?  If you are a follower, you already know.

We planted over 80 plants of different hot peppers.  In our one fenced garden.  For the first year ever, something small enough got thru the holes in this particular fence.  Most likely a baby rabbit.  It chewed every single hot pepper plant top off and they all died.

We replanted a few, but it's a pathetic harvest.  We already have smaller hole fencing on a roll, to wrap the garden next spring.  We cannot afford to replace the fencing with the type we (and thankfully) bought for the other garden (very small holes at the bottom).

We will definitely be spreading chicken manure over the garden.  It needs fertilized for sure.

Just Laugh!  ©  September 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart