Skip to main content

Anaheim Saga

 

Instead of roasting the most recent picking of Anaheim peppers (and it was a rather large harvest), I decided to simply dice and freeze the same way I freeze bell peppers.

I am not the only one who bought bell pepper plants from a reputable green house this season, and ended up with something completely different.  I have spoken to more people who ended up with banana peppers or other peppers instead of bell peppers.  I'm starting to wonder if these green houses get their seeds from the same sources.  

Either way, I am taking advantage of these surprise Anaheim peppers.  I also cooked dinner for the first time in a several weeks (yep, Hubby did the grilling etc. or we ate sandwiches) of canning.  It felt great to get a good few days of a break, get the kitchen back in order, and take a breath.  Not to mention wash the laundry, sweep and mop floors, and pay bills.

I made a crockpot pumpkin chili.  Sounds complicated or not very tasty, but it was probably the best chili we've had.  I used pumpkin puree from the freezer (last year's harvest), I used my homemade jalapeno salt to season the meat when I cooked it, and I used 3 freshly picked Anaheim peppers in place of bell peppers.  Oh my!  So good.  Chalking this meal up, as a new "first" time experience for us this year.

The recipe does not use chunked pumpkin, just the pumpkin puree.  I used a recipe found on YouTube (Drew Cooks).  It's basically a regular chili, but with the pumpkin (we did not serve it inside a pumpkin like he does in his video, ha ha!).  The Anaheim in our chili really added some good flavor.  I guess the peppers were a blessing in disguise.

The rain is keeping me from getting tomatoes picked, but the green beans are done for the season.  Plants will be yanked when the rain quits, as well as some other plants.  The bell peppers are still producing, but small.  The evening temperature is starting to change.  The hot banana peppers produced very late, and they are small.  Same with the few jalapeno plants we planted very late as well.

Meanwhile, basil is in the dehydrator.  Pesto should be next if I can swing it into my kitchen-ness.

Anaheim Saga  ©  September 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart