Skip to main content

97 days until Christmas

Adventures from the last few months, but today's date for countdown.  





The store visit was not even planned.  It was a spur of the moment, driving by, kind of stop, and I did not know they had a room for Christmas items either.  I fell in love with the little wooden sign and the necklace.  Yes, I splurged on myself. 

 

Yep.  I added a few more ornaments to our tree ornament collection, and they were picked out by my husband this time.  Cracker Barrel for the win for these.

Now, on to a new recipe tried . . .







Thelma Lou's Finger Sandwiches.  First recipe to try from this gifted cookbook.  Different for sure, but we liked them.  Simple ingredients, and most people will have them on hand.  I guess it all depends on the type of bread used, but next time I will add more garlic.  The recipe called for garlic "salt" and onion "salt" so I adapted by converting it to salt separate and the seasonings separate, but it reminded us of a toasted garlic bread.  Would be great for crowds, or for yourself at home with some home canned tomato soup.

Note: I did not cut the bread exactly in squares, but I did remove the crusts, as the recipe stated.  I forgot to get a photo of the recipe, so I'll be back to add that as soon as I can.

97 days until Christmas  ©  September 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

Comments

I will admit I love to browse Cracker Barrel's store. I often find a thing or two there.
The ornaments are very pretty
Anne in the kitchen, I honestly think their store is the best for gift shopping for any occasion (and a little something for myself ha ha!).

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart