Skip to main content

Another Heat Wave

I have not had much to blog about, and to be honest after looking over past posts, I really don't have much that is new to post about. 

Changes are being made here at the homestead, with more to come, and they are all good and productive.   Honestly, they are not wasted days either.  

We are downsizing the kitchen table, and it will make it much easier to sweep and mop.   The upstairs is still in limbo (uncertainty) right now.  In reality, the summer times leaves little time for home repairs and such.


We replanted what hot peppers would could buy, that were affordable and big enough.  Half of the green and wax beans were replanted and have sprouted.  The greens did terrible where I planted them this year.  I have replanted two of what I had seeds for.  We will not have arugula this year.  We are entering another heat wave, which makes garden season a bit tricky.

The first zinnia seeds sprouted almost immediately, but rabbits got into my flower beds, and the seeds were replanted.  Next year, I may try to grow them from seed indoors, but again, we have no green house (yet).

Three types of calendula were planted.  All have sprouted, and thankfully we have gotten rain.  Again, tricky to maintain growth in another heat wave (90's and heat index possible higher).

We were still getting asparagus, but about one stalk every 3 days or so.  I do believe it is done for the season now.

Black raspberries are on and looking good, and the replacement red raspberry plant is growing up nicely.  Wild black raspberries are about done for the season.

One apple tree did not produce any apples.  Most likely due to the constant cold nights in May.  I have not checked the pear trees yet.

Nothing to harvest at all right now, other than herbs in the herb garden.  It feels strange, but we chose to skip planting half of the garden this year (to kill off the squash bug).

I have used the homemade comfrey "tea" fertilizer once, and will see if it helps.  If it does, we can reapply it every 3-4 weeks if needed.  Of course we still have the chicken manure pile, and will be flipping that for next year.

We have been using my homemade jalapeno salt to add a bit of zip to any Mexican flavored dishes.  I'm so glad I made it, and hopefully, we'll have jalapenos from the garden this year again.






A few pictures of some of the flowers I have grown, that we are enjoying.  I will be saving seeds from the daisy plants, and from a few others this year.  One of my yellow cone flowers died, despite watering in the miserable 100 degree heat wave.



I crocheted a set of pot holders, and a larger 8 x 10 for us.  I had the yarn, and we needed it.  I have other projects in the works, but this was an easy take-along type project that doesn't need a pattern brought along (or to the porch).

I am only two granny squares behind on my crocheted book blanket.  


I recently finished this book from the library (when I know I have a ton to read on my own shelf, ha ha!).  I give it maybe a 8 out of 10.  I did not like the back and forth in time stuff, but the twists and turns keep you from finding out who did the crime.

It was hard to get a good photo of the book cover and the granny square, as the library book has a clear, shiny over cover on it.  One more square for my crochet book blanket. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart