Skip to main content

Tidbits

 

The rain brought me some dandelions.  Flowers were picked and are drying.   Once dry, I will be infusing an oil with them.



The rain brought us more asparagus.  So happy about this.  You can see the fencing that someone mangled while mowing.  Grr. I need to get that fixed, and I need to weed it.



New recipe tried.  I had one last box of organic pasta to use, and made a salad with arugula.  We have never (believe it or not), had arugula before.  The only change I made, was that I added a drained and rinsed can of chickpeas to the pasta water and cooled them with the pasta.  Oh, I used olive oil vs. avocado oil in the dressing too.  Recipe is is a Mediterranean pasta with arugula and feta, from Peas and Crayons (online).

We liked this recipe.  I have a small bit of organic arugula planted this year.  We will see if it grows well here.


Garden work is keeping me fit this summer. I have discovered the scuttle hoe and love it. It appears to work much better than the regular hoe.  

We are expecting a bad storm, so all of the tomatoes have been tied up and stakes re-pounded.  I do have plans to drop some new herbal seeds before the rain arrives.  If any of them grow well, I'll be sharing that soon.

I picked up some pinwheels for $.74 each, and hope they keep the rodents and birds out of the flower beds.

Word from a friend, is that farmer's are back to using a dangerous chemical (but apparently legal now) on their crops.  It has the ability to drift in the air easily, contaminating fruit trees, flowering bushes, and people's gardens.  The friend shared pictures of his vegetable plants dying and now the peach tree and flowering bushes have been damaged by this drifting chemical.  The vegetable garden had a barrier set up and it did nothing to protect the garden.  

Between the entire area here being bought up for data centers (we keep seeing more and more sadly),  solar fields, and now chemicals, the world is a depressing and scary place anymore.  

Speaking of the world, with no newspapers and classified ads, it's hard to sell anything anymore.  We bought one kiddo a brand new clarinet that cost us over $800.00 and she only used it a partial school year.  I do not like facebook, but it appears the only place to sell items on Marketplace.  Even then, no one is buying anything, and even if it sells, we will take a huge hit on what we spent.  Sigh.  The things you do for your kids, and they will never even thank you.  We'll be looking into any music stores still open, but the local one closed it's doors.  It's just one last item to purge with the closet clean out.

No handiwork updates, but I did finish another book somehow in all this garden work.  I have no idea how either.  Between house chores, errands, repairs, upkeep and garden work, I'm typically too tired to even read a book.

Tidbits  ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart 



Comments

Betsy said…
Those chemicals sound like an awful thing. I don’t know how it
can be legal. I sold my clarinet to a music store who happily bought it to rent out to students. I enjoyed reading all of your little tidbits today. Lots of fun. Blessings and hugs,
Betsy.
Betsy, yes we found a music store and plan to check out what they'll pay for the clarinet. So far it's the best option. Glad you enjoyed the tidbits. Blessings and hugs back.

Popular posts from this blog

Question

  I have asked this before, but I know I follow a few writers who have written (and published) novels.  What is the best free or best least expensive (simple like Word) writing software to use that is not Google Docs? Thanks! I'll be back with an update soon I hope.  But I do appreciate your help, because I cannot find the information some of you suggested.

Horsetail Salve ~ A "first" this Year

We purchased some horsetail salve to try last year.  It is said to help with severely dry, cracked skin.  My husband was the first to try it, with very, very dry and cracked hands from work. He loves it!  He joked I could not have it back.   I started the infused, horsetail oil the last part of March. Something I learned:   horsetail is also called shavegrass. I infused horsetail in oil, and strained it.  I then made horsetail salve.  I remembered to label my jar with what oil(s) I used, so I can journal this all in my "Herbal Remedies" journal.  I often forget to write the oil used. Now, the one we bought, has more in it than I put in ours, as far as ingredients (the purchased salve had lanolin, and aloe).  We'll see if ours works just as good.  I added the sage essential oil, and vitamin E oil. A "first" time experience for us this year.    I bought the larger tins at a seed store in an Amish area last year.  They a...

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart