Skip to main content

80 some hot pepper plants gone!

 

After spending the hottest days here planting over 80 different hot pepper plants a few weeks ago, I went out to hoe the tomatoes and my heart sank.   To be honest, I wanted to throw up.  Gardeners would understand.

Something got thru, or over the fence, and chewed the tops off of all the hot pepper plants.   Just chewed off the top and left it lay.

I could sit and wonder all day (in anger, despair and frustration), but we don't know if it was a very small baby rabbit (never had this happen with the fence), or a squirrel or even rats (according to our google search inquiry).  Our fence on that garden is meant to keep rabbits and squirrels out.  However, our property butts up to woods that surround a tributary to a river, so it could be anything coming out of that area as well.  It's not deer.  We even have solar alarms around it, but not every single section is covered with an alarm.

We now have two rolls of bendable  (very small holes) fence to wrap the metal fence.  However, I'll be honest and say I'm ready to throw in the towel on growing a garden next year at all.  I'm so frustrated and angry it's exhausting.

The roots are still there, and yes there is a possibility they'll recover, but the rodent chewed the tops off from the bottom. 

My "weed" garden has a much shorter fence with bigger holes and nothing has eaten any of the herbs or plants in that.  


Comments

Oh what a bad break! I gave up on green beans and okra because of our resident groundhog
Far Side of Fifty, yep. Rotten varmits.
Anne in the kitchen, sorry to hear that. We had loads of them last year, but this year it's rabbits and raccoons. Who knows what else during the night too.
Faith said…
Natures pruners can be a nuisance, maybe your hot peppers will rejuvenate. I can imagine that I would be feeling about the same. Rosebud our deer friend, loves to take the tops off the sunflowers. They still grow but no flowers, not the same as your situation but it does take wind out of the sails.
Oh no! How disappointing. One year, we had voles tear through our garden. The next spring, we put wire in the ground, and while they didn’t get to the plants, they sure tried to chew through it.
Faith, we had a lot of plans for those peppers too. Many different recipes and pickling jalapenos. So frustrating. All those preserved meals gone.
Debb/From My Shasta home, it's so frustrating, after going thru the expense of a fence a few years ago. Now we have to wrap the fencing with more fencing with smaller holes.
Something, a rabbit, ate all our pumpkin, squash & potato plants, I know your anguish.
Wildflower Adventures, so sorry to hear that. It is very frustrating and sad for sure.
HIBISCUS HOUSE said…
I'm so sorry. That does make your heart sink. Critters can destroy a whole crop so quickly.
Here, I've quit planting cabbage in the ground even things eat them up! It's always a gamble anymore.
Hibiscus House, for 17 years we did not have a fence around any of the gardens, due to having dogs here. However, the ground hogs always ate our cabbage. Now we have it fenced, but baby rabbits go thru one of the fences that has holes that were supposed to keep "rabbits" out. We'll have to wrap the fence now.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart