Skip to main content

Cold Again ~ Tidbits

 Brisk 14°F and high of 38°F.  I used my clothesline yesterday, but the wind was crazy.  


We are seeing wild ramps on our walks lately.

Planted:  Mullein (very hard to seed start, so we shall see)
Harvested:  Green onions, Yarrow
Purchased:  Flower seeds


A small, removeable fence has been placed around the "weed" and herb garden.  Thankfully, I had the fencing, and did not have to purchase any.  Hopefully, it will keep the rabbits out of it, but I have seen a chipmunk who runs among the outdoors. 

Ordered a few books and DVD's from the library inter-loan program.  Just doing my part to keep the library open, but also to use the free resources.

Speaking of resources, you never know what freebie you can utilize, and one fell right into my lap last week.  More on that later.

                

Finished this book.  As a result, I learned a few new fun facts.  Like the fact that Elvis sang with Kitty White in a duet to make a movie.  You never know what you'll learn in any non-fiction book.  

I am 3 granny squares behind on my crochet book blanket.  Lacking the crochet mojo.  It could be that, I have been making blankets all winter and I am burned out.  Seriously burned out, so my attention will be elsewhere for a bit.



We finally found some organic buckwheat honey.  I also picked up some lemon infused honey for summer salad dressings.  They had so many different honey options, but many I can make myself.  

Comments

I had been wondering about your book afghan. I miss seeing how you make each square, but I also understand burnout.
Good luck with your various seeds. I rarely get anything other than flowers, okra and green beans to do more than sprout when I plant from seed. Then again I know I have a black rather than green thumb.
Betsy said…
Dennis and I listened to a couple of audio books from the library while we were in Galveston. That was fun. They were mysteries so we enjoyed trying to figure out "who did it" together!
It's good to be home again but we miss the camper and it's been cold and snowy since we got home. Tomorrow is supposed to be 70 so we'll enjoy that.
Blessings and hugs,
Betsy
Anne in the kitchen, I am working on getting caught up with the granny squares, but I sort of got behind with kitchen drywall repairs, painting and the like. Hopefully soon. Years ago, a blogger on here sent me some zinnia seeds and they turned out so huge and beautiful. The seeds were never saved or mostly lost that year. I have picked up some new zinnia seeds to add some cut flowers to the gardens this year.
Betsy, that sounds fun too. We love a good mystery movie, and often have fun trying to figure out who did it. The book I finished ended with her murder unsolved. Some parts were boring, but it's always fun to learn something new too.
Faith said…
Mullein? I've been considering this plant most recently. Do you think it will grow well in pots?
Faith, I have only harvested the plant when I found it growing wild here (tea, mullein tincture), but wanted to add the plant to our "weed" garden this year. I'm told it's very difficult to start the plant from seed. So far, no sprouts. I have transplanted a wild growing plant to a pot, but it does so much better in the ground (growing up to 6 feet or taller).

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart