Skip to main content

Kitchen Tip ~ Cornmeal Shaker ~ Baking Easier

 

The temperature here plummeted again to -15°F and below.  The wind is so bad, you can hear it inside the house.  The wind is causing drifting across the already plowed roadways now.  It looks like we'll be sub zero for another week, before it very slightly warms up.  Meanwhile I still get that ice cold fresh air every day one way or another.  The chickens are not laying eggs every day, but we are still getting them thankfully.

You'd think I'd have enough "snowed in" time to read a dozen books, but that's not the case ha ha!  It seems I can find all sorts of things that need done around here, leaving me very little reading time.  Phooey!  Positive Petunia here, has gotten quite a bit organized and back in order, but the deep cleaning continues.  I am thankful for the time to get it done however.  No one wants to do "inside" work in the spring/summer and fall.  Unless it's a rainy day of course.

I have made tedious notes to get another recipe (fruit cake for one) post up soon.  I'm going thru a lot of sticky notes lately.  I may need to restock those soon (insert big chuckle).



A good cook may already use this tip, but it never occurred to me, until I was rooting around a drawer and found this unused shaker.  A Tupperware dealer gifted it to me many years ago.  I think there is another one somewhere around here too.    The holes in the shaker part are a bit big for salt and pepper (say for a camper), but perfect size for cornmeal.

I was making homemade biscuits (new recipe), and needed to "sprinkle" cornmeal onto the baking dish.  I also sprinkle cornmeal when I make homemade English muffins and other items as well.

I decided to wash this little shaker up, and fill it with organic cornmeal for my "shaker" now.  One more item out of a drawer and being used, and baking just got better (easier). 

Comments

Leigh said…
Your weather sounds so much worse than ours. I've got pics I'll post tomorrow, and today, the chickens finally came out of the coop.

The cornmeal shaker is a nifty idea! I've been using parmesan container lids because they fit on regular mason jars.
HIBISCUS HOUSE said…
You've given me a new idea for my big hole lids now! Pretty good. Thanks and stay warm! xoxo Dolly
Betsy said…
I actually deep cleaned the bathroom today and feel very accomplished. Ha! I also finished the afghan I was crocheting in only three days. Of course that's because I sit and crochet/knit a lot because of my back and the cold outside. Take care and stay warm with those nasty temperatures.
Blessings and hugs,
Betsy
Leigh, it's very cold here for sure. I don't by parmesan shakers anymore, but I think I could also get some family to save me a few. Great idea, as the bottom would be a canning jar.
Hibiscus House, you are welcome.
Betsy, sounds like you are cleaning like me right now. Progress in winter is great. That's awesome you finished the afghan so quickly. I seem to have "things" to do around here on a daily basis, so very little crochet or read time these past few days.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart