Skip to main content

Warm Weather ~ Knitting Hats?

 

Beautiful sunrise, and the weather has been in the 60's, with yesterday almost 70 degrees.  A nice break in the weather.

I'm already writing up a list of new herbs to plant next year.  It may be the weather break inspiring me.

Winter home repairs are on hold for now, but I'm taking notes, making lists, and so forth.

Crazy me, as about 4 crochet blankets on the hooks, but for different occasions (I love a single yarn pattern for "on-the-go" etc.).  No hurry on any of them, other than one for a Christmas present.  I've had more "sit" time than I'd normally prefer, so I'm taking advantage of it.




Do any of my blog followers have a knitted hat pattern (easy) for beginners (or links to free online patterns)?  I have knit dishcloths, but would like to expand my ability to knit hats (before I attempt socks).  

Maybe a pattern you shared on your blog perhaps?  One of my grandmothers used to knit, but of course I was too young to even think to learn it before she passed (to be honest was never introduced to knitting by anyone).  Would love to expand my handicraft knowledge and experiences.

I'm thinking a baby hat, child hat and adult hat.  I was told that hats were more needed for donations than scarves (our school stated kids don't wear scarves anymore, but will wear hats).  Not that I will stop making scarves, but thought I would ask here, as so many of you are talented.  I would love to pair up baby blankets with hats, as an area pregnancy center has asked for donations.

Warm Weather ~ Knitting Hats?  ©  November 2025 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

Comments

The weather sounds nice - I guess a bit different than what your area is used to, this time of the year.
The weather always inspires me. Yesterday went to a charming nursery and now I’m looking forward to Spring.
Katie C. said…
If you go to “sheepandstitch.com”, she has some free patterns. It’s the one hat that I have made successfully. It uses super bulky yarn and you use a circular needle switching to double point needles as you get to the top. I have a big head and most hats don’t fit me. This one does! She also has several tutorials that you can watch.
Betsy said…
I have a hat pattern that I'll give you the link for tomorrow. It is plain knit/purl and makes a really neat and quick hat. It's the pattern I used four our granddaughters hat in my last blog post but it has all sizes from small to adult. I'm just too tired to find it tonight. :-)
Blessings,
Betsy
Debby, I think warmer weather always inspires me to think about Spring time ahead.
Katie C. thank you so much. I did not know about that website. I will take a look.
Betsy, thank you so much! I will go look at that hat too. Again, thank you!
Carol said…
Since I don't crochet or knit, I would not have a pattern, but my mom might know of something I will ask her when I see her tomorrow
Betsy said…
Here is a simple cable hat.

Supplies
Yarn: 2 skeins of Sweet Fiber Yarns Cashmere Aran (91m / 100y per 50g skein). Hats pictured are knit in Bruin and Smoke.
Sizing: To fit an adult head 22-24 inches in circumference.
Measurements: 8 inches wide, 11 inches long (unfolded brim) or 8.5 inches long (folded brim)
Needles: 
4mm / 6US 16” circular needle
5mm / 8US 16” circular needle
5mm / 8US dpns for decreases
Gauge:
Ribbing: 20 stitches per 4 inches in rib pattern (unstretched), using smaller needles
Body: 12 stitches and 7 rows = 2 inches by 1 inch in the cable pattern, using larger needles
Stitch Guide:
3/3 LC: Slip 3 stitches to cable needle, hold in front, K3, K3 from cable needle.
2/2 LC: Slip 2 stitches to cable needle, hold in front, K2, K2 from cable needle.
K: Knit
P: Purl
SSK: Slip 2 stitches separately, knit together through back loop
K2tog: Knit 2 stitches together
P2tog: Purl 2 stitches together
 
Pattern
Brim
With smaller circular needles cast on 96 stitches. Place marker and join in round. Work ribbing until piece measures 4” from cast on edge.
Ribbing: (K2, P2) repeat to end of round.
 
Body
Switch to larger needles and begin body. Repeat brackets to end of round.
Rnds 1-3: (K6, P2, K2, P2)
Rnd 4: (3/3 LC, P2, K2, P2)
Rnds 5-10: (K6, P2, K2, P2)
Work rounds 1-10 once. Repeat rounds 4-10 only four times more.
 
Crown Decreases
Change to DPNS when there are too few stitches to continue in the round on a circular needle.
Rnd 1:(3/3 LC, P2, K2, P2)
Rnd 2: (K6, P2, K2, P2)
Rnd 3: (K6, P2, K2, P2)
Rnd 4: (SSK, K2, K2tog, P2, K2, P2)
Rnd 5: (2/2 LC, P2, K2, P2)
Rnd 6: (K4, P2tog, K2, P2tog)
Rnd 7: (SSK, K2tog, P1, K2, P1)
Rnd 8: (K2tog, P1, K2tog, P1)
Rnd 9: Remove marker, K1, place marker, K2tog to end of round. 
Break yarn. Using a darning needle, thread yarn through the remaining stitches, pull tight and secure on wrong side. Weave in ends and block. Clip ends once dry.
Betsy said…
The other day hat is called “Everyday Beanie Pattern” by Amanda Morse and it’s free on Ravelry. It has all sizes.
Blessings,
Betsy
Thank you again Betsy! I will look that one up.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart