Skip to main content

This and That

I harvested one last bit of Russian Red Kale.  I saw new sprouts of our Swiss Chard.  It makes me happy to see it growing this late in the season.  I am already missing the garden.  Crazy as that sounds, but I am. 


A funny to share.  I was working on the dinner in the kitchen when my phone rang.  Ha ha ha!  It was my husband.  He was home, so this was strange to me.  He said, "Well, I have discovered one problem with the coop.  Can you come let me out?"  Ha ha ha ha ha ha!  The door shut, and latched on him.  We are still laughing about it.  We will be doing something to rectify that from happening again.  Oh, they are still not laying eggs, but they deserve a break too.  They still get treats and such, so hopefully they will be laying again shortly.  Then again, they have new roosts, so they may be acclimating to them.


Our little library is celebrating 100 years, and they are having a "home" Bingo game, but the numbers are called on social media, so I have to check there every day to play.  A little bit of fall fun.

I may have shared this for crochet folks, but did you know that Boye is not making the "I" hook in 5.5mm size?  They only make them in 5.25mm now.  It sort of messes up my patterns I use.  I am still trying to find more of these to keep on hand. 

I ordered one from Herrschners online, which stated 5.5mm, and when it arrived it was 5.25mm.  Just a heads up on that information.  You can buy other brands in the 5.5mm size.



Here is an update on the larger lap afghan I am crocheting for a gift.  I am not yet halfway done, and the month is going by way too fast right now.


I have already been going through the yarn stash to make the next gift (it may end up after Christmas, but the recipient knows).  I have not narrowed down the colors just yet. Can you tell the recipients of both blankets like green? Ha ha!  Blankets take a good amount of time to crochet.

This and That  ©  November 2025 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

Comments

Betsy said…
Both blankets are very pretty. Green is definitely a popular color. It's also my DIL's favorite color. I didn't know that about he Boye hooks. Thanks for the info.
Blessings,
Betsy
Carol said…
Those blankets are beautiful. I wish I could crochet. My mom and my grandma both are great at it, but I am not.
Betsy, thank you. Yes, I found out about the hook size change after ordering it and getting the smaller hook.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart