Skip to main content

4 Weeks Until Christmas

 

Tree was made from a cinnamon stick, fake evergreen cut, and buttons.  The candy apple ornament was a mini muffin wrapper, a small apple ornament dipped in glue and bird seed.

Drum was made from half a toilet paper tube, craft foam for the top and bottom, felt and ribbon, and the drum sticks were painted tooth picks with tiny pom poms glued on.  Yes, they took forever to make, and back then, I didn't blink an eye on how much time they took to make.



A small bit of all of my duplicate handmade Christmas ornaments.  I could not believe how many duplicates worked their way to the Christmas storage totes (Three more totes to go through yet).  Good grief.  Anyway, the story behind them all. . .

When the kids were in elementary school, I would race to the school and sign up for room parent for their Christmas party first.  My second choice was always Valentine's Day when the lists were full.  

Anyway, for some crazy reason, I fell in love with making ornaments, and when I was a Christmas party room Mom, I came up with a handmade ornament.  I made one for every single kid in the class, and I hand wrapped each one, so every kid had one to open.  Yes, I did that.  Some years there could be almost 30 students too.

In the process of the ornament making, my family got one every Christmas too.  Ha!  Probably way too many, but they got one too.

I would go to our large area library, and check out every single handmade ornament books they had, and then some.  I would get ideas, or in some cases, even patterns (I made a LOT over the years).

The duplicate pile was loaded into a box, and the kids got to pick out any they wanted.  The rest will be donated to a nursing home or if I hear of a family in need. 

~~~~~~~~~~

As for what's happening for this up coming Christmas?



First, I realized when I bought dye free, non-gmo cookie sprinkles for the advent gifts, I did not buy us any.  I had to find them again (not easy to find in the area here).


I have started yet another crochet project related to Christmas, but it's on the slowdown time, for an idea for next year (too late for this year).  More on that later I think.  I saw the idea on facebook one day (ha ha!  Social media at it's best to influence us).

Two advent gift bags delivered.  One more to deliver yet.

I have yet to get a Christmas grave blanket/or saddle for Mom and Dad's headstones.  I will not be able to make them myself, and may not even be able to deliver them this coming month.  In the past, I did a barter with an acquaintance, and she made us two.

I have my 2026 planner now, and there is a section for "projects" in it, so that is where "Christmas 2026" will be kept noted and organized.

We have talked to someone we know, who is not working and could use the extra money over the next month.  We may have found someone to help with a few home repairs before or after Christmas.  We are not done painting, and took a long break from it.

Tried a new macaroni and cheese crockpot recipe.  I added additional cheese.  It's a white cheese dish, and it tasted fantastic.  I will try and get the recipe up soon, but it may be the best we have tried so far, and perfect for potlucks or gatherings.


Comments

Your handmade Christmas ornaments have fared much better than mine have. I have the same drums!
I like the white macaroni and cheese recipes. Very tasty.
Betsy said…
I finally finished all of the ornaments for our kids and grandkids. I've always made homemade ornaments. One year I crocheted 110 mini-stockings for the local Veteran's Home in Spokane and and filled them with sugar free candy and an LED flashlight. That just about did me in. :-)
Blessings,
Betsy
Jackie said…
I need to get our trees up and decorated, and of course some baking done.

God bless.
Anne in the kitchen, that is funny, and I found about 3 of them in our ornament totes. One was a bit smashed up.
Debby, us too. I didn't realize how good they would be using the other cheeses.
Betsy, wow! That is a LOT of crochet work for donation. However, that idea is great! I bet they loved it.
Jackie, I'm just ahead of the game I guess. Happy decorating.
Henny Penny said…
Your ornaments are so cute. I just can't imagine making as many as you have over the years. You get so much done all the time! The macaroni and cheese dish looks delicious!!!
Far Side of Fifty, thank you.
Henny Penny thank you. Yes, the macaroni and cheese was delicious.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart