Skip to main content

What's Cooking?

 I think the title of this post should have been "Kitchen Capers" or what's going on in the kitchen these days.

Not much.


I pickled red onions.  These are healthy and can be added to many dishes, rice, salads, tuna/chicken salad or topped on hummus.  The ideas are endless really, but it's nice to have it on hand. 

I made us protein bites for snacks.  I really like these during summer when it's super hot outside.  I do think the amount of mini dark chips can be reduced, but they are very good.  I'll be honest, I can't recall where I got this recipe, but I am on the hunt, so I can share.  I used to make these a different way, but these have coconut in them.
 

Comments

I love having pickled red onions on hand.
I do have one question though. Why would anyone in their right mind ever decrease the amount of deliciousness in dark chocolate chips?
Anne in the kitchen, ha ha! The chips seem to fall off and not all stick, so it almost looks like there are too many and some fall off and get wasted.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart