Skip to main content

Mud Season

 March is what we call our "mud" season.  Everything is thawing, or there is rain and flooding, and sometimes a snow shower in the mix.  Mud.  We get lots and lots of of a muddy mess, which prevents any or all outdoor work or play (unless we find paved hiking/walking trails).

Mud season can feel unending and arduous, but also inspiring as the warmer/sunny weather arrives.

Monday - 13°F windchill in the morning

(I attempted to sit in the sunshine for a hot minute, and the clouds moved in of course)


Tuesday - 36°F windwill in the am.  High for the day was 60°F (insert smiling face), but we had am rain.

Wednesday - 53°F (windchill of 48°F), rain

Today?  - 37°F Snow!  


Nothing new going on.  We are patiently waiting for spring to stay put.  If you remember, we were trying to get an online appointment for new tires last weekend?

Well, my husband actually got an appointment made over the phone, and drove there after work to the said appointment.  When he got there, the employee told him he could not and would not put new tires on the vehicle, that we had an appointment for.

After much discussion, my frustrated husband got him to do the job.  The employee literally told my husband that whoever was on the phone that day, should have never agreed to the work to be done.  Needless to say, my husband drove home with new tires.


On the home front . . .

I got two more wire shelves purged, lined, and re-organized.  I cut more pool noodle pieces to place inside my tall boots (it's a cheap way to keep them upright and looking nice).  I have yet to find tall enough storage bags for a few pairs of tall dress/casual boots (that do not have boxes).

I got the one corner kitchen cupboard cleaned, lined and re-organized.

The donation box is filling up much, much slower now, which means I'm much closer to being 100% organized (in the house anyway, the garage is another story).



What's Cooking?

I finally got around to making kimchi for us.  I have no experience with this, and no advice, so I used a recipe from a book I own.  I'll let you know if we like it or not.



Outdoor fun . . .

Despite rain here again, I managed to find a window of time to roll out the coop cleaning tools and muck the stinky winter chicken coop.  The ladies are in pure heaven again, and I got outside.


R & R time . . .

Current book.  I bought this book almost 2 years ago, at an antique store, and while on a weekend getaway.  It is starting out rather mundane and slow.  I sure hope it gets better.  I had shoved it into a living room end table drawer, and completely forgot about it.  I guess I had high ambitions to sit in the living room and read maybe?  Either way, it's on top of the stack right now.


Current progress on the "blind" date with a puzzle.  It's been a doozy of a puzzle.  Pieces are not uniform, It's hard to find the edge pieces, and there are too many of the same color in much of the puzzle.  It's been a challenge, and may be the last puzzle of the "winter" season for us.  My husband, who insisted we buy the "blind" 1000 piece puzzle date, has been of very little help with it too.

Mud Season  ©  March 2025 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

Comments

Leigh said…
Sounds like you've got frozen mud season going on! And I'm wondering, how would making an appointment for car repair be any different online versus over the phone? Would the computer have known to turn down the repair? An odd excuse if you ask me!
Leigh, it's why we prefer to talk to a real person to make appointments anymore. When you do, you get a boat load of messages to remind you (or calls) and it is annoying too. Yes, it's crazy weather season for sure.
All I want on a phone call is a human. I can't talk to online appointments and it is irritating.
Latane Barton said…
I've never tried kimchi but I've heard a lot about how good it is for you. Anxious to hear your take on it.
Not quite as bad as where you live, but it’s still muddy here as well. I never did get out to pull up the vinca when it was warmer and can’t remember why. Oh well.
I’m glad your husband made them put the tires on. That’s just ridiculous.
Hi there! I just found your blog and I like it! What state are you located in?
Betsy said…
Crazy here too. Blizzard yesterday. 40's today. Snow tomorrow. I must say that I'm tired of it and ready to camp.
I'm sorry about the tire thing. It's strange that he didn't want to put the tires on. Aren't they supposed to try to sell stuff?
Blessings,
Betsy
Anne in the kitchen, another thing I don't like is those kiosk things to check in with.
Debby@My Shasta Home, I'm sort of glad he had the appt right after work, so it was him and not the both of us there, ha ha! I would have not been a nice person I think.
diane in northern wis, so glad you are enjoying it. I do feel my posts can be rather boring in the winter time here, but some days I can come up with a good post ha ha! Glad you are enjoying it. We are in Ohio.
Latane Barton, thanks. I know you can buy it in stores too, if you would like to try it. I made ours and hope to find it a nice addition to healthy eating.
Betsy, crazy weather for you for sure. Yes, but the younger workers do not like to work in most cases. I'm not sure why he was refusing the appointment, but my husband has a way to get things done I guess. The tires were very much needed too.
We are almost done with mud...maybe:) Your puzzle looks like fun!
R's Rue said…
It is mud season. We just have red clay here in the south. I hope the book gets better. Let me know your thoughts on kimchi.
www.rsrue.blogspot.com
Far Side of Fifty, thanks. We are still working on the puzzle.
R's Rue, thanks. We will update on the kimchi hopefully.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart