Skip to main content

Homemade Hand Lotion


 In December of 2014, I made homemade hand lotion.  I have made it a few more times since then, and then I sort of dropped out of the homemade version and started buying it.  I made the lotion for gifting for Christmas that year.  To be honest, I don't remember if anyone ever let me know if they liked it or not either.  I used orange essential oil it it at the time.

By the way, the link still works on that post (linked above).  She shares a recipe with or without a preservative.  If you want to gift it, I do suggest the preservative.   If I remember correctly, I actually made two different recipes.  

Anyway, the one linked in my older blogpost is super easy to make.  Be sure to read the instructions on her website, and to let it sit overnight.  


I made a batch the other day, and just used a recycled jar and canning jar, but with solid closing lids.  I just haven't bought lotion pump for it yet.  I chose to use lemon essential oil this time around.

Do you have a favorite homemade hand lotion recipe?  Or do you prefer to just buy an organic brand at the store?

Homemade Hand Lotion  © April 2024 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

Comments

Faith said…
I've not made any lotion, but am on a learning curve, I've got Lavender,Rosemary & Lemon Verbena in the garden, and have started Calendula seeds. I'm a little intimidated by the entire process, but want to try. I also want to try to make Queen of Hungary Water. Take Care
Lady Locust said…
Oh, sorry nobody let you know if they liked it or offered any feedback. I love my handmade lotion and actually made a batch after work last night. I'll now take a look at the links you offered. 💕
Jackie said…
I have made lotion bars, not the kind of hand lotion you made. I do love the bars though.

God bless.
Interesting. It’s something I would like try. I have very sensitive skin.
Faith, the lotion recipe that I linked in the older blogpost doesn't even require a mixer. You just use a spoon. I have a set of utensils (measuering cups, measuring spoons etc) that I only use for making things like lotion.
Lady Locust, I just wonder if anyone enjoyed the handmade gifts, when I do gift them. Thanks for taking a look.
Jackie, I have made bar soap, but not lotion bars. Sounds interesting. I do love the lotion though.
Debby, the recipe is very easy to make. I got my ingredients online, and used distilled water (I've used well water before too).

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart