Skip to main content

Comfrey Salve (2nd Trial)

 I've narrowed down my draft blogposts.  I went from 80-some down to 38.  I have resurrected another draft.  The odd part, is that I made this salve years ago, and never posted this draft.  I have no idea why I didn't.  It was drafted up, but the date is not showing up. All I know is that this was the 2nd version of comfrey salve and I like it much better.

 You can make comfrey salve a few different ways.  You can check recipes in library books or on the worldwide web too.  Many vary, but I have been making salves for a while, so I  know how thick I want it.  

The first recipe I attempted created a very hard salve.  It was too hard to even use.  I was a beginner salve maker at that point.

You can also use an oil of your preference for making the infused comfrey oil prior to your salve making.  I, for the most part, use olive oil, but I have used grapeseed and jojoba oils, depending on what I am making them for. 

If you are new to salve making (or infusing oils with plants), I do suggest doing your research first.


How I made my comfrey salve:

I infused my oil with comfrey first (I used the sunny window method).

I then strained that oil and made the salve.

I bought my amber jars online for this salve.


Heat 2 cups of comfrey infused oil and 1 /4 c beeswax until they melt (I use a double boiler just for this purpose, and only used for salve or lip balm making).  I use a recycled can from cooking beans or what not, that has been washed and dried.  I place that can in the top pan with a bit of water.  It really helps with clean up.

Once the beeswax is melted, remove from heat and add 1 Tbsp. of vitamin E oil and about 15 drops of lavender essential oil (I have also used other essential oils).


(I store it in amber jars you can buy online or from local health stores)

I have used this salve for bruises, varicose veins, strains, fractures, and healing broken bones.  

Notes:  It came in handy when I sprained my ankle a few years back, but one thing I learned to do, other than apply poultices and salves (for a sprain), is to do a foot soak with comfrey itself.  I did soaks with Epson salts, but never even thought to do a comfrey water foot soak.  It is difficult to apply a poultice to a sprain, and I did do that, but every year I learn something new.  Do you have any tips with comfrey?



(photos of comfrey poultices from 2016)

(I have a disclaimer on the bottom of my blog.  I am not a doctor, and this is personal experience.)

Comfrey Salve (2nd Trial)  © April 2024 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

Comments

Jackie said…
I made dandelion salve for the last few years and last year added oregano salve and lavender salve (the last one I use when I start to develop a headache). Planning to add more salves to my repertoire this year.

God bless.
Jackie, that's pretty neat you make those. I used to make one for headaches when a kiddo used to get them really bad. I haven't made it since, but you reminded me of that salve with the lavender you make.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart