Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Saturday, April 6, 2024

Comfrey Salve (2nd Trial)

 I've narrowed down my draft blogposts.  I went from 80-some down to 38.  I have resurrected another draft.  The odd part, is that I made this salve years ago, and never posted this draft.  I have no idea why I didn't.  It was drafted up, but the date is not showing up. All I know is that this was the 2nd version of comfrey salve and I like it much better.

 You can make comfrey salve a few different ways.  You can check recipes in library books or on the worldwide web too.  Many vary, but I have been making salves for a while, so I  know how thick I want it.  

The first recipe I attempted created a very hard salve.  It was too hard to even use.  I was a beginner salve maker at that point.

You can also use an oil of your preference for making the infused comfrey oil prior to your salve making.  I, for the most part, use olive oil, but I have used grapeseed and jojoba oils, depending on what I am making them for. 

If you are new to salve making (or infusing oils with plants), I do suggest doing your research first.


How I made my comfrey salve:

I infused my oil with comfrey first (I used the sunny window method).

I then strained that oil and made the salve.

I bought my amber jars online for this salve.


Heat 2 cups of comfrey infused oil and 1 /4 c beeswax until they melt (I use a double boiler just for this purpose, and only used for salve or lip balm making).  I use a recycled can from cooking beans or what not, that has been washed and dried.  I place that can in the top pan with a bit of water.  It really helps with clean up.

Once the beeswax is melted, remove from heat and add 1 Tbsp. of vitamin E oil and about 15 drops of lavender essential oil (I have also used other essential oils).


(I store it in amber jars you can buy online or from local health stores)

I have used this salve for bruises, varicose veins, strains, fractures, and healing broken bones.  

Notes:  It came in handy when I sprained my ankle a few years back, but one thing I learned to do, other than apply poultices and salves (for a sprain), is to do a foot soak with comfrey itself.  I did soaks with Epson salts, but never even thought to do a comfrey water foot soak.  It is difficult to apply a poultice to a sprain, and I did do that, but every year I learn something new.  Do you have any tips with comfrey?



(photos of comfrey poultices from 2016)

(I have a disclaimer on the bottom of my blog.  I am not a doctor, and this is personal experience.)

Comfrey Salve (2nd Trial)  © April 2024 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

2 comments:

Jackie said...

I made dandelion salve for the last few years and last year added oregano salve and lavender salve (the last one I use when I start to develop a headache). Planning to add more salves to my repertoire this year.

God bless.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Jackie, that's pretty neat you make those. I used to make one for headaches when a kiddo used to get them really bad. I haven't made it since, but you reminded me of that salve with the lavender you make.