Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Monday, December 4, 2023

Last Craft Show

 

The weekend went pretty fast, and with ugly weather.  The rain never stopped.

The craft show is over with, and we did okay.  I have also sold the blanket yarn I have in stock (what I had left), that I used only for the water balloons.  I have emptied a few totes thankfully.  However, like my husband said, no one has money right now.  Most of what was sold, was very low priced items.  

The cost to participate with a 10 x 10 foot area, was a whopping $45.00 this year.  It will be marked as the very last craft show for us.  It was a dreary, rainy day, and not many people went out, plus there were a ton of other area craft shows going on during the same day.  So many people, who told me they were coming to the show, never even showed up.

I gifted hats to a few of the kids, and packed up displays to put up for sale at a later date.  

A local lady, who ordered 6 knitted dishcloths picked them up at the show.  She was thrilled to get them.  She said craft shows are not "craft" shows anymore.  She is right.  There are so many other vendors using cricut machines to sell shirts/mugs/bags, pampered chef, Tupperware, and the like.  There were about 4 booths with crochet work there.

Now the abandoned, unfinished projects will resume.  There is much to work on yet around here.


6 comments:

Henny Penny said...

Oh, I feel for you. It is so disappointing to work and get things made, pay for the vendor space, and then all the work of setting up and taking down...for folks to not show up. My sister and I did one craft show a few years ago where she did really well and I didn't make a penny. We share a space. People would buy from her then walk past me like I didn't exist. Glad the lady did show up for the dishcloths you made.

Sherry said...

Your right I haven't been to a craft show for awhile becauseof that. Everything is either the same or bought to sell. I miss the old craft days.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Henny Penny, you are right about people right by your booth. I had a ton of inventory, and a huge selection. When my kids showed up, I just let them take what they wanted for themselves, and anything they wanted to use as gifts. I had a lady him-hawing over buying a $2.00 hair clip. It's not the same anymore.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Sherry, you are right too. Years ago, we would attend a fall festival that was based on a big batch making and selling of apple butter. There we a ton of handmade and homemade items. The very last time we attended, it looked like a flea market with garage sale stuff.

Debi said...

I've stopped going to craft shows for the the very reason that you mentioned. Most of the vendors are not crafters. And most of the buyers do not appreciate the time and effort that goes into handmade items. They just want "cheap" stuff. So sad.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Debi, that is so true.