Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Thursday, December 7, 2023

Homemade Fajita Dry Mix

 It's very convenient to buy the packets of dry fajita mix at the grocery store, but you can make it yourself.  I've been making our dry taco mix for several years now.  


You most likely will have all of the ingredients to make this at home.  I buy some of my ingredients in organic/non-gmo bulk, which saves us money and allows me to have extra on hand to make many other dry mixes homemade.  Let me know if you make your dry Fajita mix without the sugar, and if it changes the flavor.  

Homemade Fajita Dry Mix

(makes about a 1/4 cup of dry mix)

I use all organic/non-gmo ingredients, and bulk buy some of them, as I make a lot from scratch

4 tsp. Chili Powder ( I buy bulk)

2 tsp. Ground Cumin (I buy bulk)

2 tsp. Paprika (I buy bulk)

1 tsp. Garlic Powder (we use homemade from homegrown)

1/2 tsp. Cayenne Pepper (use more for more heat)

1 1/2 tsp. salt

Optional:

1/2 tsp or more of onion powder (we make this homemade)

1-2 Tbsp. sugar or brown sugar if your heat seasonings are on the spicy side, otherwise there is no need for sugar


2 Tbsp. = 1 store packet of dry mix


2 comments:

Debi said...

I started making our own taco mix about a year ago and we love it. I use it for tacos, burritos, fajitas, beans and have even used it to flavor rice. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Debi, I use my taco seasoning to flavor beef for beef and bean breakfast burritos. So good.