Skip to main content

Homemade Fajita Dry Mix

 It's very convenient to buy the packets of dry fajita mix at the grocery store, but you can make it yourself.  I've been making our dry taco mix for several years now.  


You most likely will have all of the ingredients to make this at home.  I buy some of my ingredients in organic/non-gmo bulk, which saves us money and allows me to have extra on hand to make many other dry mixes homemade.  Let me know if you make your dry Fajita mix without the sugar, and if it changes the flavor.  

Homemade Fajita Dry Mix

(makes about a 1/4 cup of dry mix)

I use all organic/non-gmo ingredients, and bulk buy some of them, as I make a lot from scratch

4 tsp. Chili Powder ( I buy bulk)

2 tsp. Ground Cumin (I buy bulk)

2 tsp. Paprika (I buy bulk)

1 tsp. Garlic Powder (we use homemade from homegrown)

1/2 tsp. Cayenne Pepper (use more for more heat)

1/2 tsp or more of onion powder (we make this homemade)

1 1/2 tsp. salt


Optional:

1-2 Tbsp. sugar or brown sugar if your heat seasonings are on the spicy side, otherwise there is no need for sugar


Notes (3/6/2026):  will be adding additional ingredients to add more flavor in the next batch, and will try and remember to update the amounts of....

-dehydrated garden grown oregano

-homemade garlic powder (from home grown garlic)


2 Tbsp. = 1 store packet of dry mix

Homemade Fajita Dry Mix   ©  December 2023 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart


Comments

Debi said…
I started making our own taco mix about a year ago and we love it. I use it for tacos, burritos, fajitas, beans and have even used it to flavor rice. Thanks for sharing your recipe.
Debi, I use my taco seasoning to flavor beef for beef and bean breakfast burritos. So good.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart