Skip to main content

Chit Chat ~ Lost Mojo ~ Christmas Eve Tradition ~ Non Traditional Thanksgiving Meal Dish

 I've been spending a lot of time tidying up, putting stuff away, preserving and stocking up, and just regular ol' housework. I've had to deliver some homemade ginger-ale to one of my daughters.  By the way, her cyst is draining thankfully.  However, her antibiotics are making her sick.  Thank you for all of your prayers.


More greens are being blanched and frozen for the winter months.  Spinach and dandelion greens.  I have to remind myself to focus on one at a time, and not bring home different ones.  It's time consuming to switch water out and ice bath water.  I'm still looking for swiss chard in stores.  I have not found any yet.


I've been searching for my holiday mojo.  It's been lost.  Poof!  Disappeared.  Not one iota of it lingering this year.

I used to be the one that insisted on a tree in every room of the house, including the master bathroom.  I had lights everywhere, in rooms, on the trees, in the hallways.  I used to have a binder dedicated to all things Christmas - gifts, food, etc.  I used to work on a new handmade Christmas ornament every Jan/Feb, so it would be all done for the upcoming Christmas.  Everyone in the family was gifted one.

When the kids were little, I would practically run to the sign up sheet for their Christmas class party.  I handmade an ornament for every single kids in the class (did this every year), and hand wrapped the gifts.  I came up with games, and prizes and took treats.  I was pretty creative with some of them.  


Check out this one (on my S.C.R.A.P. blogspot as well).  It was a treat container and the head was an ornament.  I was pretty proud to make them for 25 students.  The bottom "treat container" was a cardboard tube from toilet paper.  I typically also bought small trinkets like something to put on their pencil tops.  Can you imagine how many parties I volunteered for?  

I'm still looking for my mojo.  I've had one kiddo volunteer to come decorate here, but we are not.  It's a simple tree, with just lights, and that's it so far.

I have been asked to bring back our pajama tradition.  My Mom always looked forward to our family photo of each Christmas Eve.  I'd buy new pajamas for all of the family, and wrap them up.  Christmas Eve we'd all open them, put them on, and wear them all day Christmas Day. 

Here I am talking about Christmas, and we haven't even gotten to Thanksgiving.  

What is something a family member would make for the Thanksgiving meal that was not a "traditional" dish?   My grandmother on my Mom's side of the family would make fried chicken. If I remember right, it was coated chicken, then baked in the oven.  So technically not "fried" but it tasted that way.  My grandfather would make the dessert, which was usually a boxed cake of some sort, and frosted.  We never had turkey when we had a Thanksgiving meal at their house, which was different.






Comments

Katie C. said…
Do you have a good recipe for cranberry sauce?

-Katie C.
Katie C, I do not. That is something either of my families have made for Thanksgiving.
Rebecca Knox said…
I'm doing a lot of thinking about Christmas here, too. I plan to decorate a couple of days before heading to my daughter's in K.C. for Thanksgiving. Nothing elaborate...a small tree or two and some lights. Just enough to give it a holiday glow upon my return. As for the non-traditional dishes...my daughter in Kansas City always adds tater tot casserole and broccoli, cheese, and rice casserole to the traditional Thanksgiving food that she serves (turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, gravy, cranberry sauce, green bean casserole, corn, rolls, pumpkin pie). Why? I'm not sure! Have a beautiful and blessed holiday season! <3
Rebecca, that is an interesting dish. I'm working on finding a different dish this year for both holidays.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart