Skip to main content

First Snow

 I finally got to the grocery store.  I noticed that they now only sell one type of tahini now.  They used to carry about 6 different brands.  I also noticed the peanut butter selection is much smaller.  

In the midst of trying to find the tahini, we had a conversation with a woman who was shocked at the price of eggs right now.  Then we were talking about hummus and found out she could not eat chickpeas, so I told her she could make hummus with pumpkin, black beans, beets etc.  She was so happy to find that out and said she grew pumpkins this year.  Anyway, nice lady and I was glad I could share with her.

We had our first snowfall.  It's officially winter.  It snowed all day, but melted away.  Nice big snowflakes too.  They kind that make you want to hunker in and crochet.  I did that too, only due to the fact I can't really do anything, other than tidy up the boot area in the hallway (I may do that today).


I was thankful to have the yarn for this blanket, already downstairs.  I started it last winter, but if you crochet, you know it's hard to crochet large blankets in warmer weather.  She picked out the bright yarn.  Crazy kid.  Anyway, I crocheted while my husband went to work on a niece's car.

Car lights were fixed.  Apparently, it was simply a blown fuse, but since he stayed there gallivanting, there were things here that did not get done (off his honey-do list).

And there is nothing more frustrating, than to get home and realize you forgot something that was actually written on the shopping list - salt for the softener.  Sigh.

I mentioned a new recipe I wanted to try, and have yet to try it.  I am hoping to do that today or tomorrow.  It's a breakfast dish.
 
I also forgot to send some things home with Daughter K, so I am hoping to get another visit from her.  This time, I have used my "notes" on my phone to remind me of what to send with her, ha ha!  

They say more snow is to arrive today, but it tends to make a person stay inside vs. go out.  We'll see what happens today.




Comments

Carol said…
We had about 3 inches of snow yesterday. It was technically our second snow. I did not do well navigating it in the walking surgical shoe. I did not fall thankfully, but it sure was not pleasant.
Carol, oh dear, I hope you don't fall.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart