Skip to main content

Refreshing the Flower Beds

 













It was high time to refresh the flower beds, however I am not done.  We are talking about possibly adding more mums, as some of ours have died over the years.  I just depends on if I can get them all looking spiffy.  The mowing is being done today, so I can't exactly do any weeding, but they do look much better.

We had a beautiful 70 degree day yesterday, but boy did that weather wake up the stink bugs, bees and wasps.

I was so excited to find a craft show in November, only to decide it won't happen.  Instead of the usual $20 a table and $10 for a second one, they want a whopping $30 per table this year.  As of now, it won't happen this year. Paying $60 to participate is outrageous.  I don't have high priced items, and even if I did, they would not sell.  

Gas prices are soaring as well.  Everyone is selling and no one is buying, so there is that too.

I hate mowing days.  It puts me out of outdoor work, putting anything on the clothesline, so hopefully we are nearing the end of mowing season.

Comments

Faith said…
I would like very much to make things to sell, whether it be designs or finished projects. My items don't sell, and neither do my patterns. I go back and forth trying to decide whether I want to continue with it, or just go back to making things for my home. I suppose what I make might have appealed to a different generation, and for the most part they were making their own. Lots of Amigurumi out now, the market I think is saturated. It's a different time, and the consumer wants different things. I make what appeals to me. That is quite an expense for a table, you would have to sell alot of items to cover and make a small profit.
Leigh said…
It always amazes me when places that don't seem affected by rising prices raise their prices anyway. That bugs me about thrift shops. For craft shows, there's a lot of cost to count, to make it worth your while.

Oh, and you're flowers are beautiful!
Your flowers are lovely . I was just shopping for fall bulbs to add to my memory garden . I am doing less beds more pots and bulbs.
Faith, I did the same show in 2019 and made about $40.00. They put me at the end of a hallway and no customers came all the way down the hall. I had planned to do only this show, and request being up front, but it is way over priced.
Leigh, the thing that boggles me, is it will be in a mall with lots of space, and the money for the tables is going to a charity, so why price them so high? They'd get more vendors if they lowered it. I have my own tables and chairs too.
Lisa, I have to use pots for tulips now. I've tried to deter the moles, but they are terrible this year.

And thank you all for the compliments on the flowers.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart