Skip to main content

Last Chance for the Herb Garden ~ Weather and other ramblings

Our weather is now in it's persnickety season, where you put on a thick sweatshirt in the morning, and a t-shirt in the afternoons.  You all know me, and I'm a die hard put-it-on-the-clothesline woman.  Some days are great for drying, and others take much more time.

We got some rain, which is great for my fall garlic, but keeps me from weeding flower beds.




Our weather dropped down to 31°F last night, so I spent the day putting up more green onion and chives.  I also cut all the zinnia heads and brought them in, as well as flowers that were about to bloom.  

We also canceled camping and winterized the camper.


Daughter E is getting bookings, but has had to drop some prices to do that, so I hope she is still earning enough to set sail with her being her own boss.  She asked me to bring in some ear warmer headbands to sell at her chair.

I've been working on some headbands in fall colors.  It's been a while since I pulled the pattern out too.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart